Going to 90 ft

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like pedantic people, but I didn't think that was the exact Juvenal quote... Also it is literally guard not watch I believe in Latin.

A closer translation is actually "keeper" the root "custos" is used in that sense in many other writings. From this comes English words such as "custodian"

Juvenal's texts are fragmented and there is some debate over the order of some of the lines, which are written in hexameter, if I recall correctly. In this case the satire is about Roman wives hiring heir own watchers, keepers, guards, to watch them while the husbands are away o protect their virtue. The satire comes into play from the various types of custodes, who may be regular men, or eunuchs. So when the discussion turns to the class of custodes hired, sexually functional men vice eunuchs, Juvenal asks the question "Quis custodiat, ipsos custodes?" He is asking who will keep the fox from the henhouse so to speak. The satire comes into play when the response:"Ipsos" is given, They themselves; that being "These manly men left alone with the beauties of Rome will do as they were hired to do, rather than schtuping them at first opportunity" Wink wink wink....

You 31 feet over the depth limit, bo'uh, dat be big tyme, you gonna pay :no:. You Know what we'uns do with purty bo'uhs down 'roun heah huh, yankee bo'uh? :idk:

N

Are you saying this here river don't go to Aintry boy....

A closer translation is actually "keeper" the root "custos" is used in that sense in many other writings. From this comes English words such as "custodian"

Juvenal's texts are fragmented and there is some debate over the order of some of the lines, which are written in hexameter, if I recall correctly. In this case the satire is about Roman wives hiring heir own watchers, keepers, guards, to watch them while the husbands are away o protect their virtue. The satire comes into play from the various types of custodes, who may be regular men, or eunuchs. So when the discussion turns to the class of custodes hired, sexually functional men vice eunuchs, Juvenal asks the question "Quis custodiat, ipsos custodes?" He is asking who will keep the fox from the henhouse so to speak. The satire comes into play when the response:"Ipsos" is given, They themselves; that being "These manly men left alone with the beauties of Rome will do as they were hired to do, rather than schtuping them at first opportunity" Wink wink wink....

Fair enough, thanks for reply.

I know, I know waayyyy too much information.....I really try to keep that tendency in check.....

Haha no worries, as I said, I like pedantic people and am fairly pedantic myself. It takes a lot of effort to surpress this on forums usually :D

I trust Houseman's translation over Wikipedia's....

what...you dare to question the Wiki ?????:confused:

My god man...I read it on the interwebs, it has to be true

When I was originally (and finally) certified by Los Angeles County (LAC) in the 60s, I was able to dive to depths of 130 ft. However, I didn't back then and generally stayed in the 60-100 ft level for max depth.

When I went traveling internationally, I was frequently asked to do a checkout dive with a dive operator first despite 40+ years of experience and thousands of dives. The first time that happened was with an op in Thailand. The PADI instructor requiring it was from Los Angeles and didn't even know about LAC certification or that most of the originators of PADI, NAUI came from that program.

I finally decided to get a PADI AOW card on the Great Barrier Reef so dive ops elsewhere would recognize my certification. Funny thing is that the PADI instructor there in Cairns not only recognized my LAC c-card, but called it a "museum piece."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom