Going through customs in Guam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My memory is that HNL-GUM and GUM-HNL travel is unique in that you are not technically processing through immigration (so US Citizens do not need passports), but because Guam is considered “outside the United States Customs Zone” you process through Customs.

With that said...it has been a few years since I have made that trip and things may have changed.

This is as good an explaination as I have come up with. Just went through this on Sunday and it is odd. You will go through Immigration in Guam (without your bag) and customs in HNL. I gave up trying to figure this out.

My memory is that HNL-GUM and GUM-HNL travel is unique in that you are not technically processing through immigration (so US Citizens do not need passports), but because Guam is considered “outside the United States Customs Zone” you process through Customs.

With that said...it has been a few years since I have made that trip and things may have changed.

This is as good an explaination as I have come up with. Just went through this on Sunday and it is odd. You will go through Immigration in Guam (without your bag) and customs in HNL. I gave up trying to figure this out.

Guam (and the CNMI) used to allow visa-waiver visits by countries that would otherwise require a visa to enter the United States (like Russia and China). Now the visa requirements are the same, so one would think that it would change to be like visiting PR or any US state.

It is a pain in the ass getting to Guam without a passport, but it is possible. I have gone through it a few times in the last year that I have lived here and it is easier to have your passport and only takes about 5 minutes to get through customs if you have it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom