Going through customs in Guam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DougieG

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone:

I'm planning a trip to Palau and taking United Airlines. The connection back to the U.S.A. is through Guam. I believe that is where I would go through customs. How much connection time should I plan for in Guam so I can go through customs and still make my connecting flight to Honolulu? Thanks for the advice!''

DougieG

My recommendation would be to plan an extended surface interval there and take a hop to Saipan, just to the north. There is some good diving around the island of Saipan...then hop back to Guam to fly on to Honolulu. It is such a druge to get out that way due to the long flight times (7+ hours from Honolulu and 13+ from the west coast of the US), take advantage of the fact that you are their while you can if you can.

-Z

I just got back from Guam and the customs was not to bad but always plan for a booked flight with long lines. Coming into Guam was not bad, going back you will have the longer times...oh and plan on doing it again in Honolulu

I plan for an absolute minimum of two hours between connections when going through customs, but 3 hours is better.

Coming into Guam was not bad, going back you will have the longer times...oh and plan on doing it again in Honolulu
?? Are you saying the flight from Guam to Honolulu is not a domestic flight?

It is considered domestic international or something along that line. Crazy but considering the amount of non-americans coming into Honolulu I can see why. I had to get my checked bag, go through the customs agents and then recheck it. It was actually pretty quick all things considered

My memory is that HNL-GUM and GUM-HNL travel is unique in that you are not technically processing through immigration (so US Citizens do not need passports), but because Guam is considered “outside the United States Customs Zone” you process through Customs.

With that said...it has been a few years since I have made that trip and things may have changed.

Have to use them now regardless!
Good to know. The Customs and Border Patrol has conflicting information that was current as of July 2018.
——————————

U.S. Citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents (LPR's) who travel directly between parts of the United States, which includes Guam, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Swains Island and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI), without touching at a foreign port or place, are not required to present a valid U.S. Passport or U.S. Green Card.

However, it is recommended that travelers bring a government issued photo ID and copy of birth certificate.

It also is recommended that you carry proof of your LPR status at all times in the event you are asked to prove your status. This may be in the form of a green card or passport.

Odd for sure...When I booked my flight it mentioned passport requirments also, had to show it in Orlando and Guam. But things went smooth and fast so that was good

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom