Did you get tested for Patent Foramen Ovale (PFO)?

• PFO? Never heard of it.

Votes: 10 10.4%
  • Yes! I didn't have PFO!

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • Yes! They found PFO but they didn't close/seal it.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • Yes! They found PFO and they fixed it.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • No, I didn't feel it was necessary.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • No, but I intend to!

Votes: 11 11.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I get a LOT of migraines without aura as well, and it's my understanding (could be wrong!) that the migraines without aura are somehow less indicative of a pfo than migraines with an aura. I am just now building back up to deep cave CCR dives after a break due to some orthopedic issues. Which means regular dives in the 250-300' range, lasting four-six hours or more. I've not gotten tested for a PFO and don't have any plans to do so.

When I was starting out in tech diving, @Dr. Doug Ebersole was kind enough to provide some perspective to me. At the end of the day, if I got tested for a PFO, and had one, what would I do? At that point I had over a decade of recreational diving experience and no hits. I was already planning on diving "conservatively" - so what would I *do* with the results of a PFO test, positive or negative?

So I didn't get tested for a PFO. If I were to get bent, I would get tested and if I had a PFO, I would get it closed. But I don't see the value in prophylaxis testing.

Regards,
Kate

Meaning you used to get them how frequently? and since the closure you've not had any?? And you mean easier to breathe underwater???

Sorry to pry, but I get migraines a lot. A LOT. Many triggers identified, some not identified. I have had thousands of migraines over the past 25 years, and only 3 with an aura. All of the aura migraines occurred within the past 2.5 years (since I started diving). One was on the surface after a dive, one was on the ride home after a dive, and the other not temporally related to a dive. (The article someone linked mentioned a PFO link to migraine with aura, which really are the less common type of migraine).

I feel like I get more tired than most other divers after diving. I've never been bent. I feel better on and usually dive Nitrox but still get tired. But then again, I work nights, and have an erratic sleep schedule, so maybe I am more tired than most folks normally. I've had to pull over and take a power nap in the car after diving, on my 1-1.5 hr drives home, on a few occasions.

Anyway, not likely to run out and get tested for a PFO, but it's interesting.

I get a LOT of migraines without aura as well, and it's my understanding (could be wrong!) that the migraines without aura are somehow less indicative of a pfo than migraines with an aura. I am just now building back up to deep cave CCR dives after a break due to some orthopedic issues. Which means regular dives in the 250-300' range, lasting four-six hours or more. I've not gotten tested for a PFO and don't have any plans to do so.

When I was starting out in tech diving, @Dr. Doug Ebersole was kind enough to provide some perspective to me. At the end of the day, if I got tested for a PFO, and had one, what would I do? At that point I had over a decade of recreational diving experience and no hits. I was already planning on diving "conservatively" - so what would I *do* with the results of a PFO test, positive or negative?

So I didn't get tested for a PFO. If I were to get bent, I would get tested and if I had a PFO, I would get it closed. But I don't see the value in prophylaxis testing.

Regards,
Kate
Then do you have immediate 24/7 access to an Emergency Recompression Chamber with ACLS (Advanced Cardiac Life Support) that can treat the full scope of DCI pathologies -from simple type I to acute AGE?

Did @Dr. Doug Ebersole have any foresight to refer you -other than DAN- to any capable medical health facilities there in North Florida that can take such emergency DCI cases without delay?

Is Shands Medical Center and Level One Trauma Center able to accept and treat emergency DCI patients there in Gainesville? Does the Univ of Florida Medical School there in Gainesville even have a Hyperbaric Medicine Department?

Last edited:
. . .Anyway, not likely to run out and get tested for a PFO, but it's interesting.
You can make this decision with confidence because you have this to support your health & welfare 24/7 for at least diving here in Southern California:
Location > USC Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber > USC Dana and David Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences

Hello,

There is a lot of misinformation in this thread, and this is an important subject. I will attempt to put the medical community's perspective on it. . .

Kevrumbo:
I exceptionally disagree with this expert panel, looking at it from the perspective of a hypothetical beginning tech diver starting training with an unknown -and unaware of- a PFO condition not previously discovered or diagnosed.

Again, it all comes down to a statistical/epidemiological vs clinical dilemma in a personal risk management perspective: a low probability event versus a severe health & welfare outcome if you unluckily suffered an acute DCI occurrence.

Yes it does Kev, but your evaluation of that is at odds with that of true experts in the field for the reasons outlined below. I can't really tell from your posts whether you are arguing for an individual's right to ask for PFO testing, or whether you are saying we should encourage or even make it compulsory for everyone entering technical diving to be screened, but I am suspecting the latter.

Two separate consensus documents published within the last few years, which represent the views of the world's major diving medical societies, clearly state that mandatory pre-participation screening for PFO is not justified [1,2]. This is certainly true for diving as a whole and probably also for technical diving, but I accept it is technical diving where things start to get tricky; mainly because of a lack of accurate data on the risk of major DCS events linked to PFO among this group.

There is considerable anecdotal evidence suggesting that DCS is more common in technical diving than scuba air diving; perhaps dramatically so. Moreover, it is probably significantly under-reported (many mild cases ignored, or treated with surface oxygen / in-water recompression). Nevertheless, major cases are much more visible because they almost all find their way to a recompression chamber, and those cases still seem relatively rare and herein lies the essential problem. Pre-participation screening for PFO (which has some risk [3 - 8]) would be hugely expensive, would prompt many to have closures (which has risks [9]), all to prevent an unknown proportion of cases suffering a relatively rare event. I am happy to admit that there is some wooliness in all of the relevant numbers (the risk of screening, the risk of closure, and the risk of serious DCS events in technical diving). But at this time the expert medical community does not believe that pre-participation screening is justified purely on a risk vs benefit basis.

There are also other problems with screening of all prospective tech divers. For a start, the need to be screened would deter a lot of people who might not like the idea of having bubbles injected into them. The cost would also deter some (bubble contrast TTE costs around $800 in Auckland). Moreover, the test would detect a PFO in 30% of candidates. Although many of these would be small and insignificant lesions, once a diver has the PFO label it is often hard to make such distinctions no matter how rational. I expect a huge proportion of that 30% would decline to proceed. In short, pre-participation screening for PFO would likely devastate the technical diving industry. This would not be a reason for avoiding it were it justified. But see my above comment about risk vs benefit. There are other potential problems too, including the very important one made at point 6 on the counselling list below.

I would like to be clear that my comments above which relate to pre-participation screening of all divers are not to be interpreted as suggesting that there is no merit in PFO testing and closure under any circumstances. Like all diving physicians I refer individual divers who report indicative DCS events for PFO testing, and sometimes divers who have never had DCS at their request. But this is always preceded by careful counselling about what they are getting into. Key elements of such counselling were recently outlined in Diving and Subaquatic Medicine [10].

Every diver wanting a PFO test gets told:

1. The bubble contrast echo test is relatively safe, but there are some risks. Transient symptoms of cerebral arterial gas embolism have been reported following strongly positive tests for right to left shunt [3 - 8].

2. The test is likely to be positive in at least 30% of cases (depending on the context) and the diver may then have some difficult options to choose from. To mitigate the risk implied by a large PFO the diver effectively has 3 options: give up diving, modify their diving practice in an attempt to reduce VGE production, or have the PFO repaired (which has risks [9]). If the diver does not intend to take one of those options, then there is little practical point in having the test.

3. A positive test after an episode of DCS does not guarantee that the PFO was the cause of the DCS.

4. As a corollary to point 3, repairing a PFO discovered after an episode of DCS does not guarantee that another event will not occur.

5. A negative test does not mean that the diver is “resistant” to DCS as many seem to believe.

6. The finding of a PFO may have unexpected negative ramifications for things such as career choices, diving insurance, travel insurance, general health insurance.

So, currently, it is entirely possible for a diver to be tested for a PFO if they want to be, whether they have had DCS or not; but we are careful to fully inform them what they are getting themselves into. It is also notable that the majority of divers with significant PFOs discovered after DCS have them found after recurrent mild events (like skin rashes) rather than serious events. . .

Finally, Kev, your citation of a very old passage written by Richard Moon is misleading. His current thoughts are clearly represented in the contemporary guideline on which he is lead author [2]. Finally, for the OP, as someone trained as a cardiac anaesthesiologist, I could easily test myself for a PFO but never have.

Simon M. . .
Recitation again of the arguments:

https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/...Proceedings/2015-pfo-workshop-proceedings.pdf(see P.156):

"Epidemiological studies have shown an association between PFO and certain types of neurological and cutaneous decompression sickness. . . DCS risk has been reported as 3.6 cases per 10,000 dives, with 0.84 cases of neurological DCS per 10,000 dives, with a 4-fold increase in risk with PFO. . .Thus, if DCS cases were random events, the overall risk of neurological DCS is low, even in the presence of a PFO. . .

Statement 1
  • Routine screening for patent foramin ovale (PFO) at the time of dive medical fitness (either initial or periodic) is not indicated. . .

Statement 2
Consideration should be given to testing for PFO under the following circumstances:
  • A history of more than one episode of decompression sickness (DCS) with cerebral, spinal, vestibulocochlear, or cutaneous manifestations. . ."

However in contrast, Dr. Richard Moon, Dept of Anesthesiology, Duke University Medical Center, back in 1998, still has IMHO the best unequivocally stated individual opinion and simple straightforward advice stated below:

". . .For recreational divers I believe there is no need for a screening examination to look for a Patent Foramen Ovale (PFO). The only relationship we have found between PFO and DCI is for serious neurological bends, a rare disorder, and largely attributable to risk factors which are associated with the dive itself, such as depth, bottom time and rate of ascent. On the other hand, for a person who plans to perform dives that have a high risk of venous gas embolism for long periods of time, for example saturation diving, then I would recommend a PFO Study. . ."

http://archive.rubicon-foundation.o...e/123456789/5949/SPUMS_V28N3_9.pdf?sequence=1

Simon, you are a friend, a mentor and thankfully my attending Physician during that 2013 Bikini Atoll Expedition. But I respectfully disagree with the consensus Statements above, and vehemently resent the GroupThink intimidation by the "appeal to authority" argument of the "experts in the field".

There's an apt aphorism that sums this rebuttal quite nicely:
"Better dealing with the devil you know than the one you don't. . ."

Illustrative PFO Case in Point (compounded by the fact that there are no multiplace auxiliary lock Recompression Chambers with ACLS in North Florida capable of treating an emergency hyper-acute DCI Patient):
Skip to 25:25 minute mark for quick overview of clinical situation and presentation. . .

Last edited:
Kevin - seriously - whatever medical facilities any doctor may have referred me to, eight years ago, would hardly be relevant today.

Secondly, the conversation was not related to chamber access in FL - you are the only person I know who will take any conversation, regardless of context, and do their level best to derail it by turning it into a thread about the state of chambers in FL. Adding even more to the hundreds of posts you have already written on the subject of the state of chambers in FL, is not going to get anyone to pay any more attention to you - a CA resident.

Then do you have immediate 24/7 access to an Emergency Recompression Chamber that can treat the full scope of DCI pathologies -from simple type I to acute AGE?

Did @Dr. Doug Ebersole have any foresight to refer you to any capable medical health facilities there in North Florida that can take such emergency DCI cases without delay?

Kevin - seriously - whatever medical facilities any doctor may have referred me to, eight years ago, would hardly be relevant today. . .
So what do you got for emergency treatment of an intractable migraine comorbid with post-dive developing DCS symptoms after 4-6hrs runtime at 75-90mfw?

(O2 IWR??)

So by your logic, it takes a potential hyper-critical emergent event like the above to finally motivate getting tested for a PFO. . .

Hello,

There is a lot of misinformation in this thread, and this is an important subject. I will attempt to put the medical community's perspective on it. . .

Kevrumbo:
I exceptionally disagree with this expert panel, looking at it from the perspective of a hypothetical beginning tech diver starting training with an unknown -and unaware of- a PFO condition not previously discovered or diagnosed.

Again, it all comes down to a statistical/epidemiological vs clinical dilemma in a personal risk management perspective: a low probability event versus a severe health & welfare outcome if you unluckily suffered an acute DCI occurrence.

Yes it does Kev, but your evaluation of that is at odds with that of true experts in the field for the reasons outlined below. I can't really tell from your posts whether you are arguing for an individual's right to ask for PFO testing, or whether you are saying we should encourage or even make it compulsory for everyone entering technical diving to be screened, but I am suspecting the latter.

Two separate consensus documents published within the last few years, which represent the views of the world's major diving medical societies, clearly state that mandatory pre-participation screening for PFO is not justified [1,2]. This is certainly true for diving as a whole and probably also for technical diving, but I accept it is technical diving where things start to get tricky; mainly because of a lack of accurate data on the risk of major DCS events linked to PFO among this group.

There is considerable anecdotal evidence suggesting that DCS is more common in technical diving than scuba air diving; perhaps dramatically so. Moreover, it is probably significantly under-reported (many mild cases ignored, or treated with surface oxygen / in-water recompression). Nevertheless, major cases are much more visible because they almost all find their way to a recompression chamber, and those cases still seem relatively rare and herein lies the essential problem. Pre-participation screening for PFO (which has some risk [3 - 8]) would be hugely expensive, would prompt many to have closures (which has risks [9]), all to prevent an unknown proportion of cases suffering a relatively rare event. I am happy to admit that there is some wooliness in all of the relevant numbers (the risk of screening, the risk of closure, and the risk of serious DCS events in technical diving). But at this time the expert medical community does not believe that pre-participation screening is justified purely on a risk vs benefit basis.

There are also other problems with screening of all prospective tech divers. For a start, the need to be screened would deter a lot of people who might not like the idea of having bubbles injected into them. The cost would also deter some (bubble contrast TTE costs around $800 in Auckland). Moreover, the test would detect a PFO in 30% of candidates. Although many of these would be small and insignificant lesions, once a diver has the PFO label it is often hard to make such distinctions no matter how rational. I expect a huge proportion of that 30% would decline to proceed. In short, pre-participation screening for PFO would likely devastate the technical diving industry. This would not be a reason for avoiding it were it justified. But see my above comment about risk vs benefit. There are other potential problems too, including the very important one made at point 6 on the counselling list below.

I would like to be clear that my comments above which relate to pre-participation screening of all divers are not to be interpreted as suggesting that there is no merit in PFO testing and closure under any circumstances. Like all diving physicians I refer individual divers who report indicative DCS events for PFO testing, and sometimes divers who have never had DCS at their request. But this is always preceded by careful counselling about what they are getting into. Key elements of such counselling were recently outlined in Diving and Subaquatic Medicine [10].

1. The bubble contrast echo test is relatively safe, but there are some risks. Transient symptoms of cerebral arterial gas embolism have been reported following strongly positive tests for right to left shunt [3 - 8].

2. The test is likely to be positive in at least 30% of cases (depending on the context) and the diver may then have some difficult options to choose from. To mitigate the risk implied by a large PFO the diver effectively has 3 options: give up diving, modify their diving practice in an attempt to reduce VGE production, or have the PFO repaired (which has risks [9]). If the diver does not intend to take one of those options, then there is little practical point in having the test.

3. A positive test after an episode of DCS does not guarantee that the PFO was the cause of the DCS.

4. As a corollary to point 3, repairing a PFO discovered after an episode of DCS does not guarantee that another event will not occur.

5. A negative test does not mean that the diver is “resistant” to DCS as many seem to believe.

6. The finding of a PFO may have unexpected negative ramifications for things such as career choices, diving insurance, travel insurance, general health insurance.

So, currently, it is entirely possible for a diver to be tested for a PFO if they want to be, whether they have had DCS or not; but we are careful to fully inform them what they are getting themselves into. It is also notable that the majority of divers with significant PFOs discovered after DCS have them found after recurrent mild events (like skin rashes) rather than serious events. . .

Finally, Kev, your citation of a very old passage written by Richard Moon is misleading. His current thoughts are clearly represented in the contemporary guideline on which he is lead author [2]. Finally, for the OP, as someone trained as a cardiac anaesthesiologist, I could easily test myself for a PFO but never have.

Simon M

. . .
Recitation again of the arguments:

https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/...Proceedings/2015-pfo-workshop-proceedings.pdf(see P.156):

"Epidemiological studies have shown an association between PFO and certain types of neurological and cutaneous decompression sickness. . . DCS risk has been reported as 3.6 cases per 10,000 dives, with 0.84 cases of neurological DCS per 10,000 dives, with a 4-fold increase in risk with PFO. . .Thus, if DCS cases were random events, the overall risk of neurological DCS is low, even in the presence of a PFO. . .

Statement 1
  • Routine screening for patent foramin ovale (PFO) at the time of dive medical fitness (either initial or periodic) is not indicated. . .

Statement 2
Consideration should be given to testing for PFO under the following circumstances:
  • A history of more than one episode of decompression sickness (DCS) with cerebral, spinal, vestibulocochlear, or cutaneous manifestations. . ."

However in contrast, Dr. Richard Moon, Dept of Anesthesiology, Duke University Medical Center, back in 1998, still has IMHO the best unequivocally stated individual opinion and simple straightforward advice stated below:

". . .For recreational divers I believe there is no need for a screening examination to look for a Patent Foramen Ovale (PFO). The only relationship we have found between PFO and DCI is for serious neurological bends, a rare disorder, and largely attributable to risk factors which are associated with the dive itself, such as depth, bottom time and rate of ascent. On the other hand, for a person who plans to perform dives that have a high risk of venous gas embolism for long periods of time, for example saturation diving, then I would recommend a PFO Study. . ."

http://archive.rubicon-foundation.o...e/123456789/5949/SPUMS_V28N3_9.pdf?sequence=1

Simon, you are a friend, a mentor and thankfully my attending Physician during that 2013 Bikini Atoll Expedition. But I respectfully disagree with the consensus Statements above, and vehemently resent the GroupThink intimidation by the "appeal to authority" argument of the "experts in the field".

There's an apt aphorism that sums this rebuttal quite nicely:
"Better dealing with the devil you know than the one you don't. . ."

Illustrative PFO Case in Point (compounded by the fact that there are no multiplace auxiliary lock Recompression Chambers with ACLS in North Florida capable of treating an emergency hyper-acute DCI Patient):
Skip to 25:25 minute mark for quick overview of clinical situation and presentation. . .

Last edited:
Hello,

There is a lot of misinformation in this thread, and this is an important subject. I will attempt to put the medical community's perspective on it.

There are simple screening tests available that are 90+% accurate. DAN Europe did this on a study of 700(?) divers. This can isolate the problematic patients for further investigation via TEE / TTE, or the diver can decide if its worth the risk to repair the PFO, or change diving style.

Ross, this has all been explained to you before by specialists in the field, yet you continue to misrepresent the issue in a place where divers come to acquire knowledge because it suits your position that we should not have to be concerned about venous gas emboli. You do the community no favours with perpetration of poor quality information.

The transcranial Doppler (TCD) test is no more simple, nor safer, nor cheaper than a transthoracic echocardiogram (TTE) test. Both tests involve the injection of bubble contrast into a vein and measuring the appearance of those bubbles in the arterial circulation. In the TCD test bubbles are detected in one of the brain blood vessels and in a TTE test they are vizualised in the heart chambers. Both tests require expertise and carry risks (albeit small). In our jurisdiction any test involving injecting bubbles into the patient's veins and then trying to detect them in the cerebral circulation would always involve a specialist doctor. Moreover, the TCD test only tells you that bubbles have crossed a right to left shunt. It does not characterise it; the shunt could be a pulmonary shunt or PFO or atrial septal defect. If a diver had a positive TCD test and was interested in proceeding (eg seeing whether it is possible to close the shunt) then they would need second study with TTE or transesophageal echo (TEE). So they would end up having two tests instead of one.

There are very good reasons why TTE with bubble contrast (and not TCD) has been identified as the preferred test for a PFO by all the world`s major diving medical societies [1,2]

Kevrumbo:

Again, it all comes down to a statistical/epidemiological vs clinical dilemma in a personal risk management perspective

There is considerable anecdotal evidence suggesting that DCS is more common in technical diving than scuba air diving; perhaps dramatically so. Moreover, it is probably significantly under-reported (many mild cases ignored, or treated with surface oxygen / in-water recompression). Nevertheless, major cases are much more visible because they almost all find their way to a recompression chamber, and those cases still seem relatively rare and herein lies the essential problem. Pre-participation screening for PFO (which has some risk [3 - 8]) would be hugely expensive, would prompt many to have closures (which has risks [9]), all to prevent an unknown proportion of cases suffering a relatively rare event. I am happy to admit that there is some wooliness in all of the relevant numbers (the risk of screening, the risk of closure, and the risk of serious DCS events in technical diving). But at this time the expert medical community does not believe that pre-participation screening is justified purely on a risk / cost vs benefit basis.

So, currently, it is entirely possible for a diver to be tested for a PFO if they want to be, whether they have had DCS or not; but we are careful to fully inform them what they are getting themselves into. It is also notable that the majority of divers with significant PFOs discovered after DCS have them found after recurrent mild events (like skin rashes) rather than serious events. So this.....

rossh:
The current approach is to let you experience an accident first, and only then investigate that you are a high risk diver

.......is a slightly dramatic characterisation of the typical scenario.

Simon M

References:

1. Smart D, Mitchell SJ, Wilmshurst P, Turner M, Banham N. Joint position statement on persistent (patent) foramen ovale and diving. South Pacific Underwater Medicine Society (SPUMS) and the United Kingdom Sports Diving Medical Committee (UKSDMC). Diving Hyperbaric Med. 45, 129-131, 2015.

2. Moon RE, Mitchell SJ, Bove AA. PFO statement. In: Denoble PJ, Holm JR (Editors). Patent Foramen Ovale and Fitness to Dive Consensus Workshop Proceedings. Durham, NC, Divers Alert Network, 141-144, 2016

3. Wilmshurst et al. Relation between interatrial shunt and decompression sickness in divers. Lancet December 1989:1302-1306.

4. Srivastava TN and Undesser EK. Transient ischemic attack after air contrast echocardiography in patients with septal aneurysm. Ann Intern Med. 1995;122:396.

5. Holcomb BW et al. Iatrogenic paradoxical air embolism in pulmonary hypertension. Chest 2001;119:1602-1605.

6. Christin F et al. Paradoxical symptomatic air embolism after saline contrast transesophageal echocardiography. Echocardiography. 2007;24:867–9.

7. Romero JR et al. Cerebral Ischemic Events Associated With ‘Bubble Study’ for Identification of Right to Left Shunts. Stroke 2009;40:2343-2348.

8. Sorenson SG et al. Transient neurological symptoms during contrast transcranial Doppler right-to-left shunt testing in patients with cryptogenic neurological disease. J Interv Cardiol 2010;23:284-290.

9. Abaci A et al. Short and long term complications of device closure of atrial septal defect and patent foramen ovale. Catheterization and Cardiovascular Interventions 2013;82:1123–1138.

10. Mitchell SJ. Prevention of decompression sickness. In: Edmonds C, Bennett MH, Lippmann J, Mitchell SJ (editors). Diving and Subaquatic Medicine (5th ed). Florida, USA, Taylor and Francis, 153-166, 2015

Last edited:
Hello,

There is a lot of misinformation in this thread, and this is an important subject. I will attempt to put the medical community's perspective on it.

The transcranial Doppler (TCD) test is no more simple, nor safer, nor cheaper than a transthoracic echocardiogram (TTE) test.

????

FACT SHEET FOR PATIENTS AND FAMILIES (Intermountain Healthcare) : Transcranial Doppler (TCD) and Bubble Studies

"A transcranial Doppler study (TCD) is a safe, painless test that...." "As you sit or lie still, the technician will inject into your IV a saline (saltwater) solution that contains tiny bubbles."
"TCDs and bubble studies are very safe. Risks include: ••Minor pain or infection at the IV site(during a bubble study) •• Stroke or blood clot in the lungs (extremely rare).

TCD bubble test for PFO / shunt, patient video on Youtube

Last edited:
????

FACT SHEET FOR PATIENTS AND FAMILIES (Intermountain Healthcare) : Transcranial Doppler (TCD) and Bubble Studies

"A transcranial Doppler study (TCD) is a safe, painless test that...." "As you sit or lie still, the technician will inject into your IV a saline (saltwater) solution that contains tiny bubbles."
"TCDs and bubble studies are very safe. Risks include: ••Minor pain or infection at the IV site(during a bubble study) •• Stroke or blood clot in the lungs (extremely rare).

Yes, so what?

Lots of things get "injected by technicians" under appropriate supervision. The echo in a bubble contrast echo is often performed by an echo sonographer. But if you think there is no physician involved in the process somewhere then you are mistaken. The guy in your video introduces himself as the medical director. The claim that it is safe is correct, but there are nevertheless risks (acknowledged in the text you cite and described in the numerous papers I cited in my previous post).

The point that I am trying to make (and which you are trying to obfuscate) is that your inference that bubble contrast TCD is somehow a simpler, safer, more readily available, easier test (than echo) which could be used to screen all divers for a PFO is misleading. A bubble contrast transthoracic echo would look just as simple as the TCD in your video; the only difference being that you have a picture of your heart instead of a flow velocity / time display on the computer screen. And if a TCD is positive (which is common), it will need to be followed with an echo anyway because a TCD does NOT definitively tell you if you have a PFO. A properly conducted negative TCD probably eliminates a significant PFO, but any bubbles that are detected could have crossed a pulmonary shunt, so a positive test requires repetition with a bubble contrast echo.

Ross, I am trained in, and have used both of these technologies throughout my medical and research careers. In my opinion it takes a certain cognitive dissonance for you to convince yourself that you can discredit the information I provide on this matter by cherry picking information that you don't fully understand off the internet.

Simon M

Last edited:
And if it is positive (which is common), it will need to be followed with an echo anyway because a TCD does NOT definitively tell you if you have a PFO.

Simon M

No, The patient (tech diver candidate) is now informed they are in the high risk group for a DCI. They do NOT have to do anything.

They can ignore it all and carry on regardless.
Or they might decide NOT to waste a squillion dollars on tech equipment and training.
Or they might try to avoid DCI with special ascents and methods to lower the risk.
Or they could investigate further with more focused testing.

But the most important part, is we have likely prevented a future DCS injury, treatment and possible permanent injury. Is that not a good thing?

Oh and possibly we have also found a potential stroke victim later in life, too.

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom