going from 80al to 121 cubic foot steel tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gabriel90512

Reaction score
I'm going to be using a 121 steel tank for the first time ...
I dive AL 80 .. 100% of the time ....

I want to be safe .. how much led can I take off

B-day girft from my girl ...

Dang, do you even think you will be able to get that thing to the water, may need a special tranceport vehicle.........6lbs to start with.

I did the same switch a few years back. I think I ditched 5 or 6 pounds. Not real happy with the tank for most of my dives though. Depending on who I dive with, sometimes I can get 2 dives out of it. If I have a buddy with good gas consumption I am stuck with not enough gas for a second dive. Too often I have to get it filled when in still has 1300psi. Also if I do 2 dives, I change how much weight I carry so the first dive I am not overweighted and the end of the second I am not underweighted.

Drop it off at my place, I'll dive it a few times and figure it out for you. :eyebrow:

Another thing, if you are diving wet you may want to think about redundant boyancy (lift bag or something). That is a lot of negative weight if you have wetsuit compression.

dkerr:
I did the same switch a few years back. I think I ditched 5 or 6 pounds. Not real happy with the tank for most of my dives though. Depending on who I dive with, sometimes I can get 2 dives out of it. If I have a buddy with good gas consumption I am stuck with not enough gas for a second dive. Too often I have to get it filled when in still has 1300psi. Also if I do 2 dives, I change how much weight I carry so the first dive I am not overweighted and the end of the second I am not underweighted.

Maybe I should take that junker offa your hands for you.

Be careful that the tank doesn't flip you around. The steel tank is gonna want to sink on ya and your 7mm is gonna wanna float. Wanting to trade places with each other will make you feel a bit tippy til you get used to it. Dive safe.

P

In all likelyhood you will not need any weight if you are diving wet. Start with no weight and go from there - I'd be shocked if you needed any lead, unless your suit is brand new.

What brand tank is it? I dove a PST hp120 for a while - it was pretty nice, long and thin - it was easy to get trimmed out with it.

Like UP,said, be careful as well, if you are 1/2 decent on air, you know have enough gas to rack up some serious deco time and get into trouble.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom