going for my first solo dive tomorrow!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I started solo diving soon after I was certified and was doing night solo dives at the age of 14 in freshwater and was doing solo ocean dives to 130 ft at 15 years old, but by then I had done dozens of somewhat challenging dives. Solo diving is not necessarily that big of a deal if it is done by someone who has the appropriate in-water skills and the diving conditions are optimal. Freshwater dives to a depth of 10-15 foot don't seem like a big deal to me. If the guy feels comfortable doing solo dives like that immediately after being certified he is either a good diver or stupid...

dumpsterDiver:
If the guy feels comfortable doing solo dives like that immediately after being certified he is either a good diver or stupid...

My point is that at 2 non class dives you haven't got a clue whether your good or stupid. My bet would not be on good, I've learned way too many things by being stupid.

congratulations. I hope you found it enjoyable and the first of many to come.

I agree with awap, hope you enjoyed the solitude and the peace.

Let me start with giving you my congrats on your first solo dive.

However I am going to agree with some of the other opinions that have been posted. Experience comes with time and unfortunately it also comes from making a few mistakes. If I was in your place and was just starting out I would get with my local dive shop or dive club to find a couple of group trips to go on before going solo again. This way you can get some more experience and a little more depth so you can work your way through problems or emergencies with a buddy to help before you set out on your own.

Then it would be a good idea to invest in a safe/reliable second air source what is isolated from your primary tank/regulators. This way if you do suffer a catastrophic failure at depth you will have gas to reach the surface with.

I know this sounds like everyone is against you but if you get a little more experience behind you it will make you a safer diver.

I agree with all most everybody here. I do a lot of solo dives, nobody to dive with. Make sure you have backups for everything. Spare pony bottle and reg, backup knife that you can reach with the other hand. Remember when things go bad they go bad quickly. Get some more bottom time in you'll feel better about it.
Then dive some where you know!

to darnold, that is life to learn out of misstakes ,it is just a matter of how fast you lern , if you don't take things for granted there is good chance to survive , we all start stupide and as we grow older we get moer expiriance and if there is anything nobody in this world can take from you it is expiriance , i would not like to miss the stuff i have done stupide was very interessting ,makes life actually very interresting .
and do not forget you cant live forever some go erlier some later ,but i think you get a other chance in next live .
and to our solokid i think he will be soon good and would not call him stupid .
everybody have a great day ,don't forget as a diver you always walk the line ,
just don't fear, no fear just respekt would be the answer doing things right wille you become narced .

There are risks with everything we do, that does not stop us from doing them. Whose to say diving with a buddy will save your life in an emergency? How would my buddy or I feel if one died diving? Everyone is responsible for there own life’s, why should I let someone else put my safety in jeopardy? Maybe I don’t know everything but what I do know is that I know what I am comfortable with doing. When diving with someone else who’s to say that his comfort is at the same level as mine? I would rather die diving then die diving then working, or what the alternative would be if I could not find a buddy to dive with.

Berdman:
I would rather die diving then die diving then working, or what the alternative would be if I could not find a buddy to dive with.

Are you a Buddhist or something?

There seems to be a lot of sequential deaths there.

Darnold9999:
Berdman

The advice you are getting is spot on. You have absolutely no idea of the risks you are taking, you don't have the experience to evaluate them and your replies indicate that you really don't get it. Yes you got away with it this time, and you will probably get away with it a number of times in the future, but an attitude that says this is easy, don't worry I know what I am doing, coupled with absolutely no experience and or training is one that has a good chance of getting you killed.

Once you have done a hundred or so dives and had a few - oops moments where you realize how close you came to drowning because you did something dumb - then you can think about diving alone safely. Until then you may be diving alone, but you aren't doing it safely.

And have them you will.

The above post is excellent advice, solo diving can be done safely but takes an understanding of what can go wrong and experience of things going wrong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom