Goals for 2004 - RESULTS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rab

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Back in April, AvensGrandpa started a thread on Goals for 2004. Since I don't think I'll be diving any more this year, I thought I'd start a thread to show how I did relative to the goals I set then.

Added the '+' ones after the original post
  1. Complete dive kit (DONE! Got tanks in Florida)
    • Actually, I didn't get a hood until later. Hmm, "complete" is kinda relative, I guess I meant "be able to dive without renting anything."
  2. Dive in SALT WATER. (Done! Ft.Lauderdale in April'04)
    • 5 shore dives
    • 4 boat dives
      • 2 wreck dives (Sea Emperor (13-Apr-04) and Ancient Mariner (16-Apr-04))
      • 2 reef dives (same reef, Opal Towers, but who cares!)
  3. CPR class (prereq. for Rescue) (DONE! Pro-CPR 22-May-04)
  4. Rescue class (PADI Rescue Diver or YMCA SLAM) I'll have to carry this one over to 2005.
  5. At least 4 more "dive trips" (either day/weekend at a local quarry or maybe a trip to salt water)
  6. Double my lifetime dives this summer (i.e., at least 30 more)
    • Looks like I got 35 dives in, but "summer" went until 13-Dec-04!
  7. Actually dive with someone from ScubaBoard
  8. +Actually dive with someone from Gavia Scuba Club
  9. +Take a Nitrox cert. (Done! 26-Jun-04 with TDI from Cincinnati Diving Center)

And I also set personal depth (33.2msw, 108fsw), low temperature (4C, 40F), and single dive bottom time (74min) this year.

-Rob

Congradualtions!!!

I only wish i could have accomplished that much!

Did you do much of the diving close to home?

A significant chunk of them were local quarries (Ohio and Indiana), but I did get a good number of dives in Florida, and a couple each in Lake Michigan and the Pacific (off the coast of Carmel, CA)

-Rob

rab:
A significant chunk of them were local quarries (Ohio and Indiana), but I did get a good number of dives in Florida, and a couple each in Lake Michigan and the Pacific (off the coast of Carmel, CA)

-Rob

Very cool. Being objective driven is important. I like that some of your objectives were more than gear acquisition, more than travel related. You wanted to expand your experience and training and social circles... very well rounded objectives.

I'm serious. Good stuff.

For me in 2004, I wanted to do a lot more shore diving. I live in SoCal, so I'm steps from the beach. I just think most shore diving blows, so I don't go. This year I wanted to change that.

So I did.

Oh, for all the reasons I hate shore diving, it still blows: Bad viz, limited critter fix, sand all over the place, short dives, etc. So I changed my viewpoint. I do my shore diving at night.

Viz - not a factor. Plenty of viz for night diving. Lots more critters. Still sand all over the place, but the dives are pretty long with my main buddy, Arnaud (between 75 - 100+ minutes on our 130's) so its all good. I did more shore diving this year than any year ever.

Because of the broken leg, I had to sit out a couple of months of prime SoCal diving (Sept, October) so I believe this will be the first year when I'll likely have less dives this year than last. Oh well.

Did more warm water diving this year than ever before (FL and East Cape.) Dove Monterey again, finally. The best thing was getting my wife back as my dive buddy. She's back in the groove - and that rocks.

I met and dove with more SB members than I ever had before.

2004 was a blessed year for me, and dive-wise, the quantity was down a bit, but the different sites, and trips, and places I dive were the most diverse ever.

It was a great year for me.

Dive For 2005

* Stay fit and healthy. Down to 161-ish right now. Gotta get a new DS this year. Current suit is a bag on me now!

* Complete my Rescue and related courses.

* Get back to PNW to dive with UP and the people I love.

* At least one FL weekend. The Conch divers are all mental - all of them. I loved it. Either FLL again, or up to Jacksonville with my bud H2Andy. Dunno.

* Do a freshwater dive.

* Do an alpine dive. I want to dive one of the Sierra (8,000 + feet) lakes I fish in. Just to get a look around.

* Dive Farnsworth (3 trips cancelled this year.... dangit!)

* Get back to the Yukon. Its been 2 years and I'm sure so much has changed.

* Improve my kicks, now that my leg is healing and getting stronger. I dove a lot this year and didn't drill enough. I want to get back to practicing again.

* Double my shore dives this year

Thanks for sharing, Rab. I hadn't thought about this stuff until I read your post.

---
Ken

Back
Top Bottom