go pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey everyone, I'm not sure who makes this camera so I wasnt sure exactly where to put the thread. But can anyone tell me weather that "go pro" camera is any good for underwater photography. By good I dont mean SLR good, I mean good like decent pictures for someone who doesnt scuba dive alot but would like some good memoriable pictures of the trips. Any info is greatly appreciated because I cant find alot of info on it.

The GoPro is not ideal for underwater stills because it does poorly in low-light and holds the shutter open longer to compensate, giving blurry stills. I've shot stills with it and video and they're not great, though every once in a while I get a decent one. Also, there's a focus issue with the GoPro housing that causes the edges to go really soft. While GoPro is supposedly working on a fix, there's another company that has a modified housing you can get from a company called EyeOfMine -- you'll have to Google them as I'm too new to post a URL.

For shallow dives with good visibility, the GoPro is OK but nowhere near as good as even a consumer camera, especially if the consumer camera has an underwater scene mode to compensate for the color.

Also, be careful not to ding up the GoPro housing on your dives... I put a nice scratch in the center of my lens port early on when getting back in the boat. :(

Have fun,
-Graham

thanks mike, it really didnt look bad at all.

GFuterfas-yea i heard it wasnt great for taking pictures, something about a curved lense and blurry images. ah oh well i thought id try since it was a decent price. but i guess ill keep the hunt going for a decent digital underwater camera.

The GoPro does have serious limitations when compared to say a housed Canon G9 or G12 costing about $800. to $1600. or so. The underwater sharpness is less, the lower light capability has limitations as has been stated. These limitations become even more pronounced when compared to more capable and costly DSLRs which when housed can run many thousands or more.

Strange thing is when I dive I often carry both. I use the Canon for still shots and the GoPro for video. If I don't want to carry extra gear, want to focus on video, I usually just carry the GoPro. If I need higher quality still shots I will focus on the Canon. I started using GoPros about three years ago with the WIDE. The WIDE had even poorer underwater focus than the current GoPro HD cameras and yet it took some images I have yet to equal with other cameras, even more expensive ones. The wide angle optics provided some pretty good, intriguing images. The WIDE had considerable hassles with short lived rechargeable batteries, long charge intervals, despite that I went to all the trouble repeated for a reason. The images were unusual and quite good in compared to other consumer cameras, like the Olympus 770 sw (about $650. housed, leaked otherwise). Also, being able to use them hands free in a chest, helmet, tank or other mount can be a big advantage for some applications. Just put it on and forget about it while it captures what is going on. I've had five of these little cameras, lost one, and will continue to use them. They do things for their small size that are hard to equal with other cameras. All this for about $270. with standard housing, $370. with a Sartek or Eye of Mine housing for the GoPro HD, the WIDE is now somewhat obsolete.

Checkout some of the images at the following link. Most of the underwater stuff was shot with GoPros. RickI's videos on Vimeo

btw, the first one on the Abu Galawa wreck was shot almost a year and a half ago with the old WIDE camera. It has fuzzy focus but compare it to something shot with the newer HD like the UW Grand Prix Race in somewhat poor viz.

Last edited:
awesome, thanks alot guys. I guess if I decide to start filming my dives I found out what im getting :)

Here's a GoPro video that we shot while diving the Blue Heron Bridge.

Just out of curiosity, how deep were you when you took the video? It looked to be about 25-40ft maybe, but I'm just guessing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom