Go Pro Vs SLR????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SailNaked

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have loved taking underwater pictures, but my canon G11 will not function any more and I have a useless housing and flash.
Option 1. buy another G11 (outdated so off ebay) for 150:shakehead:
option 2. Buy a housing and port for my Nikon D7000 at ~2k:eyebrow:
option 3. buy a go pro and try to get stills from video or something:crafty:.
option 4. other. there is always an other.:rofl3:

If you did not quite have the budget for the SLR option but still believe in santa clause, what would you do and why? mostly why....

A lot depends on what you want to do with your photos. If you are a stills guy, then I would say get a camera (one of the u4/3 ones with a decent housing) and move on. If you are mostly interested in video then go the go-pro route but remember it is a wide angle only solution (yes you can add on a close up lens but it isn't real macro). The flash you have will translate to the new camera/housing so that is not money wasted.

Remember too that video editing is a pain, but the results are far more interesting to most divers and almost all non-divers than simple photos. As for video screen capture, to me that is a non-starter.

Bill

Having experience using both, I prefer using the GoPro Hero 3 Black. It's compact design and light weight allows for easy maneuvering while diving. The black is capable of taking photos in 12 megapixel. I am also not a fan of taking a $2000 camera with me into the abyss. Prefer a $400 loss than a $2000, especially if the video/photo is for personal use.

I think if you shoot in 4k you'll be able to grab 8mp images from the video. I have the H3 black but haven't tried that. I never had luck taking photos directly from the gopro.

Have you considered lighting for either of your options? Without lights for the go pro or strobes for your Nikon, your results will not be what you want I don't think...

Stills from the gopro are pathetic as they come with slow shutter speeds
There few good compact cameras that take good to excellent video
Panasonic lx7 if your priority is video
Sony rx100 if our priority are still
Canon s110 if you are short of cash

What kind of lighting system would you recommend for GoPro Hero 3 for better video quality?
Thanks.

---------- Post added June 14th, 2013 at 12:29 PM ----------

Have you considered lighting for either of your options? Without lights for the go pro or strobes for your Nikon, your results will not be what you want I don't think...

What kind of lighting for Go Pro 3 would you recommend? Any particular strobes or lights made for go pro? Ones on ebay are just arms with flashlight holders....
Thanks!

Like bvanant said.....it depends what you want. IMHO the still pictures you would get from a DSLR are far superior to still shots from a Go Pro. But the gear is much, much bigger. If video is your choice, maybe the Go Pro is the best option.

Meantime....what do you have for accessories for your G11 that I could buy? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom