Go pro rigs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k954triniz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Let’s see some of y’all go pro rigs. I have a super basic setup with stuff I got off Amazon for pretty cheap. Please excuse the flowers in my bed sheets
B460A9CE-32F5-4693-966F-DC70BFDB78FE.jpeg

The downside with any rig that has the video light on the same line as the lens is that you'll illuminate all the flotsam in the water (backscatter) which will ruin a potentially good shot. The key is being able to light the scene from an angle and far enough away from the lens so that any sediment in the water is illuminated from the side and the light bounces back at the light source, not the lens. For my rig, I try to have the light about 18" or more away from the camera, and angled in at about 45 degrees. It does mean that its no longer a compact rig...

Hm that’s good to know. I was thinking that but I went with this cuz of cost

The downside with any rig that has the video light on the same line as the lens is that you'll illuminate all the flotsam in the water (backscatter) which will ruin a potentially good shot. The key is being able to light the scene from an angle and far enough away from the lens so that any sediment in the water is illuminated from the side and the light bounces back at the light source, not the lens. For my rig, I try to have the light about 18" or more away from the camera, and angled in at about 45 degrees. It does mean that its no longer a compact rig...

Hm that’s good to know. I was thinking that but I went with this cuz of cost
I hear ya. I bought a 12" & 16" arm off of Amazon and a connector for about $40. The difference is makes just being able to get the light away from you is incredible - but you don't need to spend the $$$ some of the camera shops would have you believe...

20201122_120519.jpg
Here's mine. It looks like we have the same lights, I find them only effective within about 12" of whatever I'm shooting.
Keeping it cheap was one of my priorities as well, i am still not sure that I enjoy underwater videography and I know now for sure that I don't like editing, so not spending a lot of money up front was a good idea. I can always upgrade as I go along if I find that I'm enjoying that part of the hobby.
Mine is home made out of 1/8 5052 aluminum flat stock that I bent and added a couple of bicycle handle bar grips, simple and cheap when you have access to scrap aluminum off cuts.

Aviyes — what light is that
I am still unsure if I want to do underwater media pics or videos. When I dive I just like to enjoy what I see.. I wish there was a good way to just attach my GoPro to me and not have to worry about it ..

I hear ya. I bought a 12" & 16" arm off of Amazon and a connector for about $40. The difference is makes just being able to get the light away from you is incredible - but you don't need to spend the $$$ some of the camera shops would have you believe...

View attachment 625832Here's mine. It looks like we have the same lights, I find them only effective within about 12" of whatever I'm shooting.
Keeping it cheap was one of my priorities as well, i am still not sure that I enjoy underwater videography and I know now for sure that I don't like editing, so not spending a lot of money up front was a good idea. I can always upgrade as I go along if I find that I'm enjoying that part of the hobby.
Mine is home made out of 1/8 5052 aluminum flat stock that I bent and added a couple of bicycle handle bar grips, simple and cheap when you have access to scrap aluminum off cuts.

My own DIY platform. Light and uses existing Go Pro accessories. Those sticky pads will not come off unless I use a large flat blade screwdriver to pry them off. To get any air bubbles out take the housing to 40m. Safety line is simply a sports shoe lace. When you are done diving just unscrew the handles and unclip the Go Pro and lights, fits in any laptop bag or back pack. Super Light and difficult to break. It has a great deal of flex.

Glides through the water, two handles for stability, can set it down to take video. Easy to track turtles and other larger marine life.

10100.jpg
9987.jpg
10093.jpg

My Go Pro Hero4 Black is now mounted into my Olympus TG6 PT059 housing in the dry port. Same platform but using Big Blue VL4200P video lights.

TG6 HERO4 SETUP.jpg

One of my videos. You can see more on youtube dstv asia. HD are the Go Pro the 4K are the TG6

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom