Go Pro: Night Dive in the Bay .. Blue Heron Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dumpsterDiver

Banned
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
This week's night dive with my teenage son and his recently certified friend,

Are kids considering marine science or related fields? We just sent in a bunch of college apps minutes ago for my teen.
Plus those puffer fish love a dive light!

Nice job harassing the marine life...:poke:
Thinking the same...those fish are going to start a neighborhood watch program!

Growing up I was always curious about reptiles; turtles, lizards, snakes, frogs etc. I read about them, learned to identify them so I knew if the snakes were venomous and I would catch them, observe them a little and then release them.

Even now I help turtles across roads, catch snakes I find in my yard when doing yard work and relocate when necessary.

Anyway, I've always handled these reptiles as delicately as possible to minimize what I'm sure is a stressful event for them but I can't imagine teaching children a no touch rule when it comes to frogs, snakes, turtles etc like is preached with marine life and diving. Maybe it is wrong to ever handle any wild animal, but I think handling them, observing them makes you curious about them, respect them and not want to intentionally harm them.

So if we are mostly ok with handling reptiles (or maybe we aren't and I'm unaware of my dastardly deeds) why are we so sensitive when it comes to marine life? I wonder because I refrain from touching underwater too, while above water if I see a snake in my flowerbed tomorrow I'm sure I'll try and catch it.

Just curious what the thoughts are on the subject.

I once pulled a hermit crab out of its shell, shocking my husband, "You've killed it!" To show him that they can then crawl back in a different shell. So my city husband learned about hermit crabs, but hermit crab has a valid grievance. :sadangel:

Growing up I was always curious about reptiles; turtles, lizards, snakes, frogs etc. I read about them, learned to identify them so I knew if the snakes were venomous and I would catch them, observe them a little and then release them.

Even now I help turtles across roads, catch snakes I find in my yard when doing yard work and relocate when necessary.

Anyway, I've always handled these reptiles as delicately as possible to minimize what I'm sure is a stressful event for them but I can't imagine teaching children a no touch rule when it comes to frogs, snakes, turtles etc like is preached with marine life and diving. Maybe it is wrong to ever handle any wild animal, but I think handling them, observing them makes you curious about them, respect them and not want to intentionally harm them.

So if we are mostly ok with handling reptiles (or maybe we aren't and I'm unaware of my dastardly deeds) why are we so sensitive when it comes to marine life? I wonder because I refrain from touching underwater too, while above water if I see a snake in my flowerbed tomorrow I'm sure I'll try and catch it.

Just curious what the thoughts are on the subject.
I've also relocated animals that were in danger on dry land (turtle crossing the road, bird nest that fell from tree, etc.,) - but there is a big difference in touching an animal to potentially save it's life and handling it for kicks. The Horseshoe crab could have had it's tail broken off and I'm sure was not pleased to be pulled off what appeared to be a meal and flipped on it's back where it is vulnerable. Personally, I don't think it's right to stress out any animal (land or sea) for your own "entertainment ". I'm sure these divers would not be too happy if a shark had showed up and tried to "entertain" itself by handling them either :wink: ...

Last edited:
Why are you touching everything down there? How would you like if someone went to your house in the middle of the night and and flip your bed upside down while your sleeping on it, then start poking you with a bright light in you face. Wonder if you would like that?

Wildlife is to be admired and not harassed!!!

Last edited:
I handed my child a ladybug. She squished it. We have been hands off ever since. But I am not raising a marine scientist, so perhaps that is the goal, since we need more scientists to study marine problems and this guy seems to be bringing us two at least.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom