Go Big or Go Home?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

its cold, its dark, the viz is crappy and there's 12'+ 6-gill sharks in the water... anyone diving in the PNW with a low SAC rate clearly doesn't have a good grasp on what they're doing...

You guys crack me up! Why not set him up with the LP121s? Now THAT's a MANS tank! LOL.

The 95s/119s seem very flexible to me. I did a short dive with them doubled and they felt pretty good. Probably be really nice in cold water with a drysuit. I sure didn't need any weight with that 5mm shorty I had on!

PerroneFord:
You guys crack me up! Why not set him up with the LP121s? Now THAT's a MANS tank! LOL.

The 95s/119s seem very flexible to me. I did a short dive with them doubled and they felt pretty good. Probably be really nice in cold water with a drysuit. I sure didn't need any weight with that 5mm shorty I had on!
Excellent choice. Heavy steel doubles with a wet suit. Way to go. :wink:

aquaoren:
Excellent choice. Heavy steel doubles with a wet suit. Way to go. :wink:
bbbuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrnnnnnnn

Dr Shappero, just curious...your avatar looks suspiciously like you're diving a rebreather...........which would make gas consumption a more minor issue......

All the best, James

It looks like the general consensus here is "go big" rather than "go home". I have to say that I was thinking along the same lines, but was afraid of getting too much tank which was mentioned in a couple posts but seems to be a non issue given the conditions that I will be diving in. Fdog, you can put your worries to rest because that is not a rebreather but rather an argon tank mounted on my backplate. I have recently stopped using it as it gets in the way of clipping off my spg and I don't think it has noticable value until diving trimix. It is nice not to have to use any of my back gas for my suit, but at this point it is more annoying than helpful. Anyway, that's not the what this thread is about. Thank you for the suggestions and keep them coming if there are any different opinions, but at this point I think I will be getting two 130's to dive as singles for now and possibly double up down the road. I was considering the 119's but given only a 2" height difference, it seems to me that if I am thinking about the 119's that, with my size and build, I might as well just got for the 130's.

Thanks for the thoughts!

-Keith

BTW - If any of the PNW posters would be available to dive over the next month I would be interested, especally if you are available during the week. I am on winter break from school from the 9th until after the new year and I would like to get some diving in before the DIR-F class in Jan. since I am not able to make it over to the west side very often.

dr_shappero:
I was considering the 119's but given only a 2" height difference, it seems to me that if I am thinking about the 119's that, with my size and build, I might as well just got for the 130's.

There is no question that if you want to go for the 119, you might as well go for the 130 because the difference of 2 inches and 2 lbs is worth it.

Mo2vation:
This is sound advice. What Doc said, too.

I'm not a big guy (5-8" 165) and I very comfortably handle an e8-130. I have a couple of them, but dive them as singles. I boat dive with them. I shore dive with it. I lightfoot it up longa55 hills after an 80 minute shore dive while other divers are puffing with their little 100's. I climb over rocks and through surf with this these Saturn V's.

Ken

Actually, as I remember, PST made E8-149CF, but I have never seen that tank. I contacted PST about this matter and I was told that they don't have any plan to make it in future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom