Go ahead: Gamble on your Dry Suit!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Make sure they are sending it with the biggest seal possible... this was not available last year when they built my suit. If they don't have it, just send it to Steve and avoid the hassle. :D PS: you'll love your Fusion: I sure do!

Pete - you are scaring me. Just ordered a "fat Bastard" last week and I am pushing you for neck size. Any words of wisdom with the fusion seal or just get it to Steve?

John

I posted this elsewhere, but it is germane here as well:

As Steve mentioned... if it weren't for the news, he would not know that there was an economic downturn. He is VERY busy, and I am so thankful that he made time for me this past Sunday to fix my Fusion. His tips for dry suit maintenance?

• Dry your suit indoors (AC) when ever possible.
  • Leave the zippers OPEN.
  • Roll the dry suit up, put it in a breathable bag and store it in a dark Air Conditioned Closet.
  • Do not store it in the garage, near a fridge, any motor, in the heat or any harsh lighting.
His favorite suit to repair is DUI. They are quick and easy to repair because they are dead simple. His least favorite to repair is the Fusion. Go figure. I love my Fusion!

I like Steve. I've not yet met him in the flesh, but talking with him on the telephone and seeing the work he's done on my suit has favorably impressed me more than once. He knows a lot, and he's good to talk with.

Good people, that Steve.

To be frank, I have had a hard time with my neck seal on my Fusion for the past year. Nothing seemed to fit my 22" neck with any consistency. Yeah, I'm a big guy and according to the guys at Whites, my suit was nicknamed the "Fat Bastard". Of course, they love to pull my leg, so who knows?

Well, this last year a seal manufacturer actualy came out with an XXXL seal. The ball started rolling for me at DEMA when I saw SI Tech's silicone seal, that would fit in their ring system. Then I was the bad news that the possibility of them have a large seal was next to nil. Still, everyone I talked to seemed to come to the same question: "Have you talked to Steve Gamble yet?"

So, on my way through Gainesville to Cave Country, I set up a meeting with Steve at his shop/residence. He said he had the seal I needed, and so at 3:00 pm Sunday afternoon, I walked into his humble work shop, with my Fusion in hand. We talked a bit about the pros and cons of the ring system, and really: I just don't dive enough to need it. On top of that, he wasn't sure if the ring was compatible with the Fusion, so we decided on just the seal. He produced the seal, and I saw "Pete" written on it. I was feeling good about this. I put it on and to my surprise I was not about to black out. Steve didn't like the way it impeded the flow of blood in the carotid arteries, so I took it off and he trimmed just one ring off of it. I put it back on and it felt great! No super pinch, and it felt like it would seal. Yay! I was excited.

At this point, I was going to just leave the suit with him. Everyone knows that these repairs take weeks to get done, but I wasn't sure. Steve, sensing the question in my mind, told me to sit tight for a few minutes while he installed the new seal. Wow... I was really looking forward to seeing this.

The first tool Steve reached for was his trusty basketball. That's right: a baskietball. He stretched the neck seal loosely over this and got out his trusty shears. It was with some trepidation that I watched him cut the neoprene seal away from the neck. Then he matched the new seal to the opening. It looked just about perfedct.

He then put the seal on a form so he could lightly buff it. That being done, the heat activated contact cement came out and he painted the entire circle of the seal twice. He then turnded his attention to the suit, and painted it twice as well. This is when the magic started to happen. Steve would heat a couple of inches with a heatgun and then gently massage the seal onto the suit. Once in place, he would oll it in with a wood seam roller. There was no rush, but the job went quickly. Heat massage and roll. Sometimes he would stretch the seal and other times he would push it together. It was obvious he was in his medium. At the end, there was just a tad more seal than suit, and I was thinking it would be impossible for him to not have a fold. I was wrong... he massaged it right in and it looked GREAT.

He told me to keep it cold for the next few days until the glue really set... cave diving was perfect for this, so I was set. My dives were wonderfully dry. Thanks Steve!

I'll post a few more thoughts when I get back to Winter Park tonight!

I've heard nothing but great things about Steve.

With regards to the ring system, I'm pretty sure Bob3 has installed it on a Fusion. I'm not sure they're generally available yet, and I know the silicone seals aren't, because I'm sitting on the edge of my seat, ready to order both when they become available.

For those of us with Drysuits down in the Conch State who would like to consult with Steve, can someone please either PM me with his particulars or post them here?

Danke,

I just ordered a "fat bastard" fusion as well. My neck isn't quite that big, so I'm hoping it will work out. If not, I'm going to keep this thread in mind :)

Steve Gamble is indeed super!

In addition to offering me helpful advice, he sold me a pair of neoprene drysuit socks and other materials for my own DIY projects!

I didn't impose the questions, he just volunteered the helpful info!

He'll have all the business I can send his way! :)

Dave C

Back
Top Bottom