Go ahead, brag about your gear set up..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I go thru cell phones like crazy. I'm the same collecting gear. I do not pay full price and seem to find steals when I'm looking. I own 3 Apeks Regs, Black Pearl (collectors can't resist them), Tungsten XTX200 and a Flight Reg. Own 2 bc's Apeks and Deep Sea Supply. Fins are volvo races. Many wetsuits. Wife and I are DM's and dive 200 dives a year. All gets used. Good Question.

I like the fact that my wife has diving gear. Nothing special, all good honest gear, Scuba Pro regs and wet suit and BCD, but the fact she goes with me is terrific. So I brag about my dive buddy, I'd never be able to go to all these cool places without her, and I really wouldn't have it any other way.

This is life support equipment we are talking about.

So simply buy the absolute best you can afford. If your wallet is deep enough. Buy all top of the line.

Matter of the fact is: Basic life support equipment isn't expensive. It is advance (gizmo) life support equipment that gets expensive.

I like stuff that I have easy access to replacement parts. Consequently, I have quite a few Sherwood Brut regs, Zeagle BCs and all of the above plus some from Dive Rite.

I ended up getting things in little bursts over the course of a year. First came the basics so that I could take the open water course. All were "required" for the course, so all were properly fit and bought at the dive shop where the course was taught:
Tilos 3mm Titanium Hydro Boot
Kinesis Open heel Fins
Genesis Surf Snorkel
No-name mask that fit properly​

Step two was to get my own BC, regs and gauges. As a package, these all came together - all of which received good reviews from other divers who owned them. Plus as a package, I got a nice little discount.:mooner:
Zeagle Brigade BCD
Atomic B2 Regulator (1st and 2nd stage)
Mares Brigade Viper Octo
Datamax Pro plus II (Dive computer with air integration and compass)
Pinnacle Atlantic Duffle Bag

Lights, dive slate, safety gear etc... were all purchased individually as recommended by 2 trusted instructors during my AOW and specialty cert courses.
UK Light Cannon Dive Light (Primary)
UK SL6 Dive Light (Secondary)
Cetacea 7 x 4 Dive slate
See Me Safety Signal Tube
AquaTEC Dive reel

Lastly a wetsuit for Florida diving. As recomended by multiple divers...Pinnacle is the way to go.
Pinnacle Merino-Elastiprene 3mm Wetsuit

Did lots of research for most of this. I learned quite abit. The problem was that there are so many individual choices, that i was often a bit overwhelmed by it all. That's why I dove with many different kinds of rental gear before I bought.

I have a black mask. Don't know brand but I swapped to black frame to stop glare for photos. Now I can't do clear frame at all.

Next I have three reg sets. My single setup is Scubapro MK11 S555/R395. Had zero issues despite rough treatment. Breathes easy down to 40m. Expensive to service tho. I also have 2x Zeagle DSV/ZY regs for doubles. I got those for cold water and also because the place that sells them sells servicing kits as well as will teach you how to service them if you want. I've always been happy with midrange regs. Tried a bunch of fancy pants ones but they seem no different to midrange regs.

I have OMS BP/W setups for single and double. AL and steel plates. They've been fine but when I replace them I will get DSS setups as I prefer that type. Better quality but good price

I have only owned Uwatec computers with the Tec2g as the favourite. User replaceable batteries, nitrox to 100%, gauge mode, two gases, wrist mounted that I can mount in a DSS bungee thing which is great (just got one). Only $300 and will last me for ages. Tried Zeagle, Suunto and Oceanic computers but like Uwatec the best.

Umm I have 4 tanks also. 10L steel for shallow dives. 12L faber for slightly deeper dives and I have a 12l twinset. Overkill given my air consumption but I can do two boat dives with them, which is great.

Wetsuit is a Beuchat 7mm semi dry and it's TERRIBLE!!!! zip is crap. I will replace it with a M2M Seatec suit eventually. Drysuit is a Northern Diver Divemaster and it's just average. It was really cheap though. My next suit will be trilam front zip.

Fins are Jet Fin knock offs. Slightly smaller than Jetfins but couldn't fit into real Jetfins. Like them a lot, can do all the kicking styles easy peasy.

I have no fancy lights yet :( that's pretty much all I need right now then anything after that will be upgrades or replacements.

My dive buddy has a nice gear configuration. Blonde hair, blue eyes, nice curves.....overall just an impressive piece.

I don't know enough about scuba yet to know if my gear is brag-worthy or not. I do know I bought most of it based on info I picked up here.

HydroOptix RX mask - No point in diving if I can't see the shark that's about to eat me.

Oceanic snorkel - Don't want to use up gas on the surface.

Henderson 5mm Thermoprene jacket
Henderson NeoSport 5mm boots - Good price, good coverage, warm enough for anything we're likely to dive.

XS Scuba Power Fins with spring straps - Good price on SP Jet clones. And I learned from reading here that spring straps are a good idea.

SeaQuest Balance BCD with Air 2 - I do not like jackets. And for $200 this was a great deal. Bought it through the classifieds here.

ScubaPro MK11/G250V - ScubaPro is clearly top notch gear. And one of the lab techs in our ED is married to the guy who runs the LDS, so I had an "in" for a good deal.

Aeris XR1 NX with compass - I'm a geek, so I dig around in the math. And I like the haldane-based computers.

My wife has identical gear except her mask has no RX, and she uses a LadyHawk BCD.
Got the Ladyhawk with the Air 2 for $450 from the same LDS.

Nothing really worth bragging about, but they're our first kits, and we're really excited to try them out.

[Edit: Forgot to say why I picked the items.]

Last edited:
Which set?

No gear is perfect in all conditions. Am I wet, dry, warm, cold, shallow, deep? Salt, fresh, open, confined? Singles or Doubles? Am I in an aquarium tank?

I get by with 5 pair of fins, 4 reg sets, 3 BCs, 2 masks...and a partridge in a pear tree! I'll never have enough gear, no matter what my wife says.

I buy what best scratches my itch when my current gear isn't quite doing the trick. My latest search (not counting the new SD1 fins I've already decided I need) is for a FFM for very cold water, and I'm leaning towards the OTS.

BTW, most of my gear was purchased used, allowing me to save a considerable amount on the cost.

Back
Top Bottom