Gluing Sitech QCS oval ring to zip seal wrist side ring

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eelnoraa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Today I was playing around with wrist seal options. And I releaze Sitech QCS ring will fit inside DUI zip seal wrist site ring perfectly.

Here is a old zip seal wrist side ring. I cleaned it anticipating gluing latex bottle shape seal.
20140911_201546.jpg
Here is Sitech QCS oval ring.
20140911_201608.jpg
They fit perfectly. DUI ring outside, QCS inside. Just the way they need to be
20140911_201636.jpg
Now, I am thinking of just use this Sitech setup and gain advantage of cheap user replaceable seal. 20140911_201657.jpg20140911_201737.jpg
This will add about 1" to my suit's arm. It is actually very good because my suit is a little short in arm.

So I want to hear comments from you guys. Am I crazy for doing this? To much Frankenstein? Any potential issue?

Or I should just stick to my old plan, glue latex bottle seal to zip ring?

I use to do something like that by just press fitting the oval rings (same principle) into the attached suit-side ZipRing. I experimented with what you're doing, but it seemed bulkier. If you need length, try it out in a compound bucket full of water. Whats the worst that could happen?
So, no, you're not the only crackpot diver around. There are a few pictures in my photo gallery. Have fun tinkering.

So I did this mod and here is the finish product.

20140924_202924.jpg20141013_212310.jpg20141013_212402.jpg

zip seal is retained. I can go back to zip seal or zip gloves any time.
20141013_212447.jpg

The mode added about 2" to the arm. However, the overall length, to the end of the seal is shorter.
20141013_212455.jpg

So far I have had a few dives with Sitech silicon seal. No leak from the mod as expected since the rings fit onto each other perfectly. I use heat adhesive tape for the glue surface. Then on the edge I added aqua seal for reinforcement.

One tips. The Sitech ring is urathane, so using MEK or acetone for cleaning is OK. The DUI ring is NOT urathane. MEK/acetone will melt the material. So I suggest using alcohol for cleaning

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom