Glue-on Thigh Pocket on Wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jjchang

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a 7 mm wetsuit Bare Elastek, which can stretch quite a bit. I want to attach XS-Scuba glue-on thigh pocket on it with McNett Seal Cement. Will the attached thigh pocket affect the stretch ability of the area that the pocket is attached on? I am only 5'6, and the pocket occupies relatively large area of the wetsuit, (size small). Thanks for any advice and suggestion.

Jay

That method is a pain in the ass and does not allow you to properly attach it and clamp it down. I've installed about a dozen of these by now and advised at least that many more people on how to do it. You need to put the suit on and hold the pocket in position against the leg. Have a friend take a piece of tailors chalk or even a soft light colored pencil and trace the outline of the pocket on the suit. Take the suit off and get some pieces of cardboard and an old towel. Cut the cardboard in the shape of your thigh and add an inch or more to the profile of your thigh. You can always cut it down if it's too tight. Wrap the cardboard in the towel and slide it into the leg of the suit. Use enough to stretch the suit so that the pocket now lays in the outline. Run a line of glue around the pocket and make some cross hatches on it. Use the supplied brush to evenly spread the glue. now use the remaining aquaseal and do the same on the suit. If you got the pocket with the small tube you don't have enough to do the pocket properly. The new ones come with a larger tube after enough of us complained about the small tube. Place the pocket on the suit and cover with a cloth. Now take a board or large coffee table book and pile weights on it. ten to fifteen pounds is enough. Then let dry overnight. The next day you can run a small bead at the top if necessary or under any corners. I have pockets installed in this way that have been on some of my suits for 6 years now and they see a lot of use. Never had to re glue a single one. In fact when the suit dies I'll probably have to cut the pocket off and be able to re use it.

Thanks. Just did with the "simulate legs." Hope it will turn out fine.

Thanks Jim, did not see your post before I did it. You are perfectionist.

Jim's way works well, that is essentially how I have done 4 suits and one of them has been going strong for over 5 years.

Back
Top Bottom