Gloves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

koozemani

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking for a new pair of gloves. Any opinions or favorites. I'm specifically looking for something that can handle temps from 50-70. Mainly OW dives with the occasional wreck.

wetsuits

Wetsuit gloves I would recomened either the Akona 5mm or the Henderson Hyperstretch 7mm. I have both as well as drygloves. I don't noticemuch of anyloss in Dexterity between the 5/7 goves above. I am able to move and unclip everything with either on. I have used 5mm in all ranges of water from 75-40F below 60F for more then 30min they start to get cold. The 7mm I had in 42-45F and it took about 25min for my hands to get cold and need to surface up. for the 50-70 I think either would work just depends on how you like it.

A modestly priced option is Tilos 5mm Supratex gloves. Scubatoys has them for about $17/pair. I just bought 2 pair for me and two for my wife.

Our local water temps are in the 50-70°F range. When I was diving wet, I would wear the 3mm Seasoft Dyna-hide gauntlet gloves. They held up well over time, but I found that I lost a fair amount of dexterity. Pushing little buttons on a camera rig is important to me, so this was a deal-breaker in my book.

I bought a pair of 5mm Henderson Hyperstretch Titanium gloves, which actually gave me better dexterity than my old Seasoft 3mm ones. They were also easy to put on and peel off. I needed to invert them to allow them to dry after post-dive rinsing, though. I ended up wearing the Hyperstretch gloves when I switched over to a drysuit. They worked OK for a while. Since I switched over to drygloves, my hands have been dry/warm even on the 80-90 minute dives that we do. I've noticed that finger dexterity is decidedly better in my drygloves vs. the Hyperstretch 5mm gloves.

I would recommend the Henderson Hyperstretch gloves. I have no idea whether there's a better, more economical option out there. The nice thing for me now is that the replacement cost of my drygloves is $4/pair. So far, I've put about 80 dives on this first pair...and they're still going strong.

Hope this info helps...

I use pinnacle neo 3mm and really like them, usually dive abt 70-80 degrees and they are plenty warm, good dexterity in them and the velcro wrist straps are nice. might suggest the 5mm though since ur a bit colder.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom