Gloves...what do you use and how do you like them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dryglove

Contributor
Reaction score
Well im in the market for a new set of gloves.I currently use Seasoft ti 3mm gloves.They have served me well and are about worn out.I may go with the same glove but in a 5mm version for some extra warmth.I think seasoft glove is great and probably hard to beat which is why i think i may buy another set.

I was searching ebay and found some nice gloves that caught my eye and may give them a try.If anyone has used these let me know what you think of them.They sound almost bullet proof and really warm.Here is the info on them Ultimate HEAVY DUTY Dry Suit GLOVES NEW
Item # 1819235542
They are made by Aqua explorers which is the same place that made my pony bottle mount.

So if anyone has some feedback on these let me know or any other good gloves on the market.I dive mostly cold water around monterey with about 50 degree water temps.Thanks!!

I wish I had a long time ago....
My hands were toasty warm today even after the second dive....
The wetglovers had cold hands....

Water temp is a consistent 46~47 all year here....
These blue gloves I have on my Diving Conepts rings are super tough... man eating barnacle tough!

Well I just dove my new periwinkle blue Diving Concept dry gloves today for the first time... 41 degrees, and man, were my hands toasty! I don't know why I didn't do this sooner. If you like being warm, get the dry gloves, period.

You know what i may do that.I was wondering how they would hold up.When you say there man eating barnacle tough makes them sound really good.I dont know anybody that dives with them so i have never seen a pair.I always thought they would get punctured easily.Thats what i get for thinking.....lol. Im gonna check into them price wise.How much did you guys pay for your set up if you dont mind me asking.

I'm not sure if there is a "correct" way to install the rings onto you suit (and yes, I read the Diving Concepts instructions, but even then...), but when I was doing mine last night I found 2 ways. 1. leave your latex wrist seals exposed inside the rings, so that you could still have them seal on you wrist when you attatch the glove, this would leave the rest of the suit sealed if you should happen to puncture the glove, but you get hand squeeze as you decend. 2. fold the excess latex totally around the ring so that the seal is not inside the wring at all, this means if you glove gets punctured you suit gets flooded, but the glove equalizes with you suit as you dive. I've heard that with method #1, you can still let the glove equalize if you slip a peice of surgical tubing, or coffee stirrers, etc under the latex, but then your suit would still leak if you punctured the glove...

UP,
What do you do with yours?

Originally posted by lal7176
How much did you guys pay for your set up if you dont mind me asking.
Waaaay too much at 5thD/H2Oaventures.... I think I paid $170 then found out that suggested retail is $150 and that a place on the web sells them for $110... so much for LDS loyalty eh?

As far as tough we buy replacement gloves (atlas) for $16 from Seattle Marine... they are used in the fishing industry... and they are the same ones DCI resells for $40.

I tested them on the man eating barnacles on my birthday dive in Deception Pass and they held up fine.... normally I don't go around grabbing stuff but this was a matter of life and death and the man eating barnacles were not only the cause of my near demise... they provided the hand holds to get me back out.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7551

Originally posted by jetblast00
I've heard that with method #1, you can still let the glove equalize if you slip a peice of surgical tubing, or coffee stirrers, etc under the latex, but then your suit would still leak if you punctured the glove...

UP,
What do you do with yours?
I have my seal intact inside the ring and use surgical tubing... I have chunks of tubing 5" long all over the place now so even if I forget where mine are I will probably step on another pair if I move more than three feet.

If the glove gets holed... remove the glove and pull the tube... put the glove back on and you are now diving with a wetglove and a (still) dry suit.

If the suit gets holed... don't try to keep the glove dry by the above proceedure... if you can't figure out why... go ahead and try it... you will learn soon enough. When my suit flooded in Deception Pass I was able to keep my hands dry and warm by holding them up so the air couldn't escape out of them. Unfortunately warm hands will not keep you from becoming hypothermic when totally immersed in 46F water.

I read about your b-day dive when you first posted it.One thing that came to mind was better you than me.All kidding aside im glad you guys came out of that ok.It was a great post.I think posts like that make all of us more aware and safer divers.

I hope you guys know your going to get me in big trouble with my wife when i tell her i want a set of dry gloves now.Im gonna have to think of a real good excuse for this one.Maybe i can tell her in the long run there more economical....lol.As it is she hates the fact that she cant dive right now due to pregnancy.oh well better her than me...just dont tell her i said that.

Originally posted by lal7176
I hope you guys know your going to get me in big trouble with my wife when i tell her i want a set of dry gloves now.
Believe me when I say that that is the last thing I would want to do....

So Uncle Pug is going to solve your problem... well at least this one....

Tell her you know she can't dive right now but in anticipation of the day that she can again.... and because she is your favorite buddy and you don't want her sweet little hands to get cold (wimmin always have cold hands).... you are going to buy her dry gloves!!!

Order them from http://www.covci.com and get yourself a pair too.

Endurotech Kevlar 3- finger mitts with neoprene dry cuff. (available in 5-finger versions as well)
You can darn near use them for scrubbing barnacles off the boats.

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/divers3/gloves-endurotech.htm

For ringed systems, the Northern Diver GLDRY (also Kevlar) works wonders.

Back
Top Bottom