Gloves under Wet Suit or Over ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SilverNU

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Was wondering if gloves should do under the wet suit... or over the sleeves of the wet suit?

I have a pair of Camaro Seemless (no buckle at the wrist).

My suit goes over my boots... why not my sleeves over my gloves??

Gloves over, normally. For the same reason boots are under, to minimize water entering the suit. Think in terms of water flow over you in your normal attitude as you fin through the water.

Of course there are exceptions. You can try it both ways, see what you think.

Better yet, try one under and one over on the same dive.

-Bryan

is there a reason behind this?

I think he means try both ways on the same dive so you can see and compare what way you like best. Not as a permanent way of wearing them. but both at the same time will give you a good opportunity to compare side by side.

Last edited:
ok.. just making sure there wasn't a reason behind why I shouldn't wear gloves under the sleeves of my suit.

I wear mine tucked under the zippered flap on the sleeve above the seal and have had no issues although mine are to tight around the wrist to fit above the sleeve.

ya its more personal preference.
i like mine tucked into the wetsuit i feel it keeps my hands warmer, Ive never had problems with watering entering the wetsuit because of this but when i wear the gloves over the suit i sometimes have cold water leaking into the gloves which isn't very much fun at 45*

I guess some factors to consider as to wearing the gloves under or over would be the thickness of the wetsuit and gloves and the actual fit of the wetsuit at the wrist.

In my case, I really don't have a choice. With a Pinnacle Escape 7 mm wetsuit that fits very snug at the wrists it would be pretty difficult and cause stress to the suit to stretch it out over 7 mm gloves. In addition, it is easier to replace gloves than a wetsuit due to excess wear and tear in the wrist area.

As for the boots in under the wetsuit, it is easier when the legs have zippers with gussets.

It may be different with other manufacturers.

Boots under the suit
Gloves over the sleeve, it would be hard to get anything thicker then 3mm gloves under the cuff
Maybe some thin warm water reef gloves could work

is there a reason behind this?

In general it will be hell to get the gloves under the suit so unless we're talking about very lightweight gear it's not going to happen. For most divers gloves are one of the last items to go on after donning and manipulating gear it needs to be efficient. Worn over the suit they will slipstream through the water with the least amount of flushing in the most common postures.

Boots on the other hand go under. Most suits of any weight have ankle zippers and the boots go on early so you have time to work the layers. When worn under water will slipstream over the overlap with little infiltration.

There's always an odd ball but this is the dominant usage.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom