Gloves on reefs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soggy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
leadweight once bubbled...

My gripe is with photographers who wear gloves in warm water so they don't have to check what they are holding onto when they steady themselves to take a picture. Actually, I could come up with a few other rants about camera carriers.

You might want to reconsider bringing up the glove thing again. Most of the people you're arguing with here are New England or tech divers (or both)...you won't find much sympathy.

AaronBBrown once bubbled...

You might want to reconsider bringing up the glove thing again. Most of the people you're arguing with here are New England or tech divers (or both)...you won't find much sympathy.

"But if someone finds that gloves are a necessity for normal reef excursions, I'd suggest that they reevaluate the way they dive"

Alex Brylske, Senior Editor, Diver Training Magazine, February 2003, p. 102.

Aaron, perhaps all the cold water divers should bring their drysuits to the Caribbean as well. Its a different enviornment, adapt to it.

"But if someone finds that gloves are a necessity for normal reef excursions, I'd suggest that they reevaluate the way they dive"

Alex Brylske, Senior Editor, Diver Training Magazine, February 2003, p. 102.

Now...THAT is funny. Because we all know that if the editor of a mediocre dive magazine says so, it must be true.

Aaron, perhaps all the cold water divers should bring their drysuits to the Caribbean as well. Its a different enviornment, adapt to it.

Can you give me one reason why not? Some do. I considered it and I know several others who have too. They are lighter and more compact than many wetsuits.

Enough hijacking....back to pointless arguing about whether BP/Wings are perfect for everyone in the whole world.

AaronBBrown once bubbled...

Now...THAT is funny. Because we all know that if the editor of a mediocre dive magazine says so, it must be true.

Can you give me one reason why not? Some do. I considered it and I know several others who have too. They are lighter and more compact than many wetsuits.

Enough hijacking....back to pointless arguing about whether BP/Wings are perfect for everyone in the whole world.

The mediocrity I see in this argument is your attitude.

Go ahead and wear your drysuit in Belize in July. Everyone on the boat will have a good laugh as you lug a 30 lb weight belt and pass out from the heat.

The mediocrity I see in this argument is your attitude.

Back to personal attacks. Nice. Here you are preaching about how there isn't only one way to do things and you are trying to tell me what I can and can not wear? Sounds pretty hypocritical to me.

Go ahead and wear your drysuit in Belize in July. Everyone on the boat will have a good laugh as you lug a 30 lb weight belt and pass out from the heat.

1. If I were wearing a drysuit in Belize when the water is 80-85 degrees, I would need about 6 lbs of weight with an Al80. You obviously don't know anything about dry suit diving.
  2. I wasn't suggesting that I would do Belize in July in a drysuit, but when I was in the Bahamas in February and the water was 70-72, I considered it. I wore a 7mm suit and was very happy. If I had worn the drysuit at least every DM and buddy I had wouldn't have tried to tell me that my inflator hose wasn't plugged in! (No, really...it's ok...it's my drysuit hose...I'm not wearing a drysuit...that's why it's tucked neatly away and not dangling around)
  3. Let them laugh. Do you really think I care what some divers I just met in a foreign country think about me and my gear? I really hope you don't need to be part of the cool club to dive...that's an accident waiting to happen.
    [/list=1]

Your tactic in debating is called climbing the other hill. When in a losing situation start an argument in another direction that looks better and hope your opponent climbs the other hill behind you. Nice try.

You should not wear gloves in tropical waters. Period.

Attacking the source is another favorite tactic around here. See something in print, just say it is a lousy magazine. Too bad I did not see it in Rodale's since everyone around here loves to hate them.

By the way, you should check out Alex Brylske's CV.

http://www.addall.com/Browse/Author/2698525-1

He wrote the PADI divemaster manual among other things. You really walked into it this time, Aaron.

Again, no gloves on coral reefs. Per Alex Brylske you should reevaluate the way you dive.

By the way, I also said it is ok to tell someone they are wrong when they are wrong. You are wrong.

Why not "keep your paws off the reef" instead of no gloves? It wouldn't be because your average diver is so bad as to be incapable of doing that without a pain/punishment motivation, would it?

Why you picking on Aaron? He's probably not the only one that prefers to dive with gloves. Oh, and btw, a guy that wears a beanie should never say that someone else will be laughed at for their choice of dive gear. That's really a glass houses/stones sort of thing.

WW

Your tactic in debating is called climbing the other hill. When in a losing situation start an argument in another direction that looks better and hope your opponent climbs the other hill behind you. Nice try.

You aren't even debating! You are simply spouting out your opinions and stating them as facts. For an example, see the next quote below. Not once have you provided backup to your argument. You just sound arrogant and close minded. I couldn't care less about what exposure protection you wear...you shouldn't care about mine. If I choose to wear gloves or a drysuit, it doesn't effect you in any way, shape or form. Stay out of my business.

You also keep saying I'm losing...not sure how, but since you said it, it must be true.

I love the word "should." You have yet to provide even one good reason. "Because Alex said so" is not a good reason, just like "Because GI3 said so" isn't.

Attacking the source is another favorite tactic around here.

Yup...because most of the dive magazines perpetuate misinformation. It's sad that you cannot see that.

By the way, you should check out Alex Brylske's CV.
He wrote the PADI divemaster manual among other things.

Wow...that's great. Until he gives me some reasons for telling me what I shouldn't do, he's just another quack spouting unsolicited and poor advice.

By the way, I also said it is ok to tell someone they are wrong when they are wrong. You are wrong.

Care to give me a reason why I'm wrong? Care to tell me how me and my gloves hurt the reef? I haven't ever touched a piece of coral. I don't ever plan to. Apparently you need bare hands to keep yourself from doing something stupid.

I think I'm done here (unless you say something else assinine). I should take my own advice.

Leadweight...if you are willing to come out here to New England, I'll go diving with you. Maybe sometime in January. The water will be about 34 degrees. Let's see how good a diver you really are. Too cold? How about August...sometimes the water makes it to 65 degrees...that's almost tropical!

WreckWriter once bubbled...
Why not "keep your paws off the reef" instead of no gloves?

Exactly!

I always wear gloves. Some nasty things tend to grow/live on mooring lines, not to mention the stinging things that are floating around in the water.

IMHO the idea that not wearing gloves is going to stop you from damaging the reef is ludicrous; I don’t care who wrote such nonsense.

What is going to stop you from damaging the reef is good buoyancy control and environmental awareness.

Mike

snip

Respectfully, that's a pile of manure.

I sunburn easily, even underwater. I wear a full wetsuit (3mm), a cap and gloves in the Carribbean to avoid a burn.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom