Gloves - need a recommendation (medical issue)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhwestfall

Woof!
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My daughter is currently completing her OW up here in the Great Lakes region. She has Reynauds's Disease which leaves her for an intolerance for cold with her hands, feet (and lips). We are talking a significant impairment (swelling & loss of sensation as well as mobility). I need to find a really warm wet glove for her. Eventually, it will likely be a drysuit and dry gloves (if diving here is going to be her thing), but until such time, we need a solid work around.

Was thinking Dry-5, but I'm open to suggestions. The water was 56 today,so normal, and that still gave her troubles with 5mm's. I'm really thinking a semi-dry.....

Solid suggestions please.

For many students over the last few years I've been using the Whites (AquaLung) Heat glove, in 48 deg water the 3mm is very good and has phenomenal dexterity. For more extreme cases where more warmth is needed, the 5 mm glove is the go to.

The gloves are important, the suit is critical. You can't keep hands warm with any glove if the core is going down.
I have Reynauds also > I wear 5mm compressed neoprene drysuit, 4th Element Artic undergarment, thin leg fleece, 2 thin and 1 med fleece layer under the 4th Element, AND drygloves with wool liners. I'm small and do as well or better than most people in NW cold water.
I started with a wetsuit. Lasted ~ 20 dives. It was either suit up or give up.
Inherited a drysuit. Much better but was pretty snug and I couldn't get a lot of insulation under it. Used that ~ 1+ year.
Then I got a shell suit with the thickest undergarment the company made, 3 layers. Took 6# more to sink it. That lasted ~ 5 years.
Then move to the above suit mentioned. Removed the 6# extra weight, and added 10-15 minutes to my bottom time with no thermal penalty. Significant improvement.

Unfortunately the wetsuit just is not going to cut it.

Last edited:
The gloves are important, the suit is critical. You can't keep hands warm with any glove if the core is going down.
I have Reynauds also > 5mm compressed neoprene drysuit, 4th Element Artic undergarment, thin leg fleece, 2 thin and 1 med fleece layer under the 4th Element, AND drygloves with wool liners. I'm small and do as well or better than most people in NW cold water.

Unfortunately the wetsuit just is not going to cut it.

Just curious, what do you do for socks? I love the Fourth Element Arctic socks.

Just curious, what do you do for socks? I love the Fourth Element Arctic socks.
My boots fit pretty snug so I use a single thick wool sock. I had 4th Element Sox and I simply couldn't fit them in so gave them away. They were fluffy all right.

You can't keep hands warm with any glove if the core is going down.

She had a 3mm farmer john under a 5mm 1 piece, all snug and not confining, and a good bib hood. She was nearly dry upon exit. She said that had her "toasty". Yes, if she wants to dive here, a DS likely is the answer...

There are several brands of dry gloves with latex seals that will fit with or without a drysuit. Blue PVC - Bottleneck - Dry Gloves Solutions - Products - SI-TECH

60573_1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom