Gloves for Monterey, CA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dermochelys

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I was just wondering if anyone has a recommendation for good gloves for diving Monterey in a wetsuit.

My current set (Deep See 3mm Kevlar) that I hastily purchased at a Sport Chalet while en-route to my first dive in Monterey (because 1/2 down there on the drive I realized my dive rental gear didn't come with gloves) have done just "ok" when diving there and my hands get a little cold. Same thing happened when I dove in British Columbia. It's not terrible, but I'm wondering if I should upgrade and the seems are starting to develop some small holes.

Do most people use 5mm gloves?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

5mm absolutely, though I cut the tips of the three main fingers off for dexterity.

Mine are old so I'm not much help on brands.

I prefer a warm environment.

I see a mix of 3s and 5s. Personally the 5mms are a big pain to don and I can't feel a darn thing through them. I wear my 3mms all the time, almost never the 5s. But I haven't cut off any fingertips, and I don't tend to be on the cold or warm side. I have the Aqualung Thermocline Flex, but basically all my gear is Aqualung because that's what my local sells, so that's not exactly a recommendation except that I'm happy with them.

I see a mix of 3s and 5s. Personally the 5mms are a big pain to don and I can't feel a darn thing through them. I wear my 3mms all the time, almost never the 5s. But I haven't cut off any fingertips, and I don't tend to be on the cold or warm side. I have the Aqualung Thermocline Flex, but basically all my gear is Aqualung because that's what my local sells, so that's not exactly a recommendation except that I'm happy with them.

I don't think I could cut off the tips! Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check those out.

I no longer will dive Monterey wet and have now gone to dry gloves as well as dry suit, I had progressed up from 2mm gloves for dexterity to 3mm and ended up at 5mm, you will learn to adapt to each thickness as you desperately attempt to stay warm. Waterproof makes a good wet glove, get a pair of those to use while you wait for Seaskin to make your drysuit.

I used to have 6.5 mm, but I had garbage dexterity with them.

I had to replace with a 5 mm. Dexterity is OK.

I have dove with dudes (always dudes) who use no gloves in Monterey/Carmel (incl. one dude who also didnt use a hood). That couldnt be me, but I guess its possible for some folks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom