gloves for cold water diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vetdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi -

I am currently using 5 mm gloves(pre-soaked in warm to hot water prior to dives), but I am getting quite sick of having to call dives after 30-40 minutes (a generous estimate) because my hands are freezing... I am not too excited about the prospect of dry gloves, as I have only been diving in my drysuit for a year now and am still getting used to that - plus, I have heard that dry gloves can be lacking in terms of warmth, as well. My husband just ordered me the Atlan semi-dry 7 mm mitts, but I am really kind of frustrated at this point.

Can anyone help me out? I don't want to be stuck doing short dives all winter!!

The 7mm mitts should definitely help... but darn. I need to find a woman like you :p

Just noticed that it sounds like you're in a drysuit. You can get a nice dryglove kit for about $150.. add some fleece gloves underneath and you should be all set.

jonnythan:
darn. I need to find a woman like you :p

Can you email this to my husband? J/k- he is always nice when I need to head up after 35 minutes...blue lips and all...

honestly - try the dry gloves.

I have reynauds (fierce, excruciating pain when hands are cold) and the only way I can dive in winter is with dry gloves. It's like the difference between diving in a wetsuit and a drysuit.

Just make sure you equalize them (silicone tubing between your seals and gloves does the trick) and get a good pair of undergloves.

Good luck!

Well, that's two votes. I'll try these mitts and see how they work first, but maybe I'll just look to upgrade to dry in the near future. Thanks so much.

A MUCH cheaper alternative is to get thick 3 finger mitts. Mine was labeled "dry suit gloves," but they aren't the kind with seals and everything. They just look like my other gloves but less fingers and more material. They still let in a little water, but they are extremely warm. I picked up mine for dirt cheap at a certain auction site. I like them a lot, but the downside is that they are harder to manipulate things with (ie bc dump valve, camera controls, etc.).

Scubapro have just launched some new 5mm semi-dry gloves. My wife has cold hand problems and these work for her down to about 8C.

Chris

I have 7mm wet gloves - ok they are much warmer but to be honest - I have problems with doing anything uw. They are so thick that it's immposible to catch anything.
So I would consider - which is my plan too - dry gloves.
Mania

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom