Glacier Bay Canyon Runner 260 As Dive Boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulithepin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anyone have experience with using a Glacier Bay Canyon Runner 260 as a dive boat? Dive Buddy is considering three boats, Edgewater 2650, Polar 27, and Glacier Bay 260. Boat will primarily used as a dive boat with fishing during surface intervals. Looking for pro's and con's of all three, the current front runner is the Canyon Runner. Thanks.
Paul

I guess your friend has a big pile of cash burning a hole in his wallet. I don't know the Polar, but the Edgewater and GB are two totally different boats, both worthy offshore companions. I always prefer a cat for diving over a monohull any day of the week. The Edgewater is similar in layout to my 30' Century. It's great for fishing, but I'm getting rid of it and it will be the last monohull that I will own.
For bang for the buck, tell him to look a Twin Vee also. Still trailerable but cheaper than a GB.

Hi, I am looking at that boat also, but with the cabin, 26ft. Since that will be a lot of money, we have been talking to LOTS of people at West Marine, Brokers, owners, etc. GB have excellent resale. One thing: everyone says stay away from Johnson 130's. I like the Twin V's too. They cut across the water like butter. The big thing I hear, is do not overload them, they are not good for commercial stuff, fishing hold tanks or big tank loads and lots of divers. I am salivating for one and even have the slip waiting.

catherine96821:
Hi, I am looking at that boat also, but with the cabin, 26ft. Since that will be a lot of money, we have been talking to LOTS of people at West Marine, Brokers, owners, etc. GB have excellent resale. One thing: everyone says stay away from Johnson 130's. I like the Twin V's too. They cut across the water like butter. The big thing I hear, is do not overload them, they are not good for commercial stuff, fishing hold tanks or big tank loads and lots of divers. I am salivating for one and even have the slip waiting.
The thing with all of these cats is that they are 6-pax max for commercial purposes. If you install the right seat benches, tank racks and storage, you'll have no trouble taking 6 guests in comfort. Jury rig it and you will have a functional but flawed dive boat.

thanks, asked for a brochure.

DRE,

I am very interested in the Kevlacats. They sure look like the perfect dive/fish boat, especially with the diesels....

Do you have experience with them? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

No experience with them - never seen 'em up close, but AFAIK it's the only cat you can get outrigged for diving from the factory. I did test drive the Worldcat and GB and both are great boats. The build quality on the GB is a bit higher than the Worldcat, but I like the semi-planing hull on the Worldcat a bit better as far as ride, especially in tighter turns, where you don't have the centrifugal effect as on the GB.

itsjustme0770:
DRE,

I am very interested in the Kevlacats. They sure look like the perfect dive/fish boat, especially with the diesels....

Do you have experience with them? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom