Girl's prosthetic legs stolen for second time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CBulla

~..facebook conch..~
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
The amazing things that one finds on major news sites, here's the link to the Reuters Oddly Enough Article.

By Aarthi Sivaraman

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - For the second time in three months, a 16-year-old California girl who lost a leg in an accident has had her artificial limbs stolen.
Melissa Huff, an Arcadia High School student who uses a $16,000 prosthetic limb to play softball for the school team and another one, valued at $12,000, for everyday use, said both were taken from her bedroom Tuesday.

"I was picking up my little brother from school when my mom called me and asked where I left the two prosthetic legs," Huff, who lives in the Los Angeles suburb of Temple City, told Reuters in an interview.

"I knew right then that it had happened again."

Lisa Huff, her mother, said she came home around midday on Tuesday and found the room shared by Melissa and her older sister a mess. Only the prosthetic limbs were missing.

Police say they were talking to the girl's friends, neighbors and relatives for information about the missing legs.

In November, thieves broke into the Huff residence and took just her prosthetic limb. After that incident, Melissa's prosthetist and a local real estate company donated about $16,000 for a new limb.

The stolen limb was discovered in the teenager's backyard about a month ago, apparently thrown there by the thieves.

Melissa lost her real leg two years ago when a driver accidentally ran into her as she stood in front of her middle school.

She said she intends to get back on the field this week and just practice throwing until she gets another prosthetic limb.

Sad really... I suspect that the people doing this know her and think its a joke.

CBulla:
Sad really... I suspect that the people doing this know her and think its a joke.

If it is a joke, it's not funny by any stretch of the imagination... :mad:

Hmmm...is she just leaving them sitting around? It seems like it would be hard to steal it if it was attached to her body.

I'm confused.

From the story it sounds like the theives came into the house and stole them while she was sleeping. Perhaps she should by a gun safe or something to keep them in in the future. It's sad that she'd have to do that, though...

devolution365:
From the story it sounds like the theives came into the house and stole them while she was sleeping. Perhaps she should by a gun safe or something to keep them in in the future. It's sad that she'd have to do that, though...

Yes, very sad indeed.

Hemlon:
Hmmm...is she just leaving them sitting around? It seems like it would be hard to steal it if it was attached to her body.

I'm confused.

They take them off when they go to bed. They are not the most comfortable things to wear in the world, I'm sure, and trying to sleep with them on would be next to impossible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom