Girl Scouts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DennisW:
I am surprised that the Girl Scouts would allow a troop to participate in any SCUBA activity as a Girl Scout event. They are extremely conservative in what they allow Girl Scouts to do as a sponsored activity. In order to swim, they must have a Red Cross trained life guard at the activity, even at if it is at a parents home.

Well I don't know to much about the girl scouts but I have a troop coming In Aug to stay at my townhouse and go on snorkle trips and do whatever else girl scouts do these days. They have booked there dive boat and everything.

texarkandy:
My 12 y/o old daughter has been in girl scouts/brownies/daisies since she was little - I haven't been impressed with their organization - part of it may be due to her individual troop, but I know a lot of it stems from the organization.

I am going with her to get O/W certified together - I doubt an opportunity like that would ever even be considered by her troop or council.

The BS around here are far and above the GS in terms of what they get to do, character, team, & leadership building skills as well as just plain adventure. The GS around here seems to be more of a social club.

I couldn't agree with you more! The GS have deteriorated over the years and it's just not the organization it once was in my opinion too. They have lost the core values the BS have continued to keep, tho it's been a tough battle for the BS to do so. They are entirely too humanistic and militant for my liking.

I was a GS leader for 2 years back in the early 80's. I was shocked and apalled at how it had changed since I was a girl. When my nieces were in GS about 5ish years ago I couldn't believe how much further they had slipped. It's sad. Juliet Lowe is probably spinning in her grave as she patterned the GS after Lord Baden Powell's Boy Scouts. It's a shame.

Girls are more than welcome in Venture Scouting (ages 14-21) ... we have several in our SCUBA unit.
www.durlandscuba.org

Back
Top Bottom