Girl Scouts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Red_5

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Anyone with any experince doing any dive related stuff with the Girl Scouts ?

I"d like to hear about your experinces. :)

Did a Discover Scuba with a bunch of Girl Scouts a few months ago. They all had a great time!

Attachments

• girl scouts.jpg
    girl scouts.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 194
Hi, i would like to contact someone to help me get the word out that ill be opening a dive camp in puerto vallarta, and offer to clubs only 5 dollers a night per person for camping at my new dive camp in pv. i think boy scouts and girl scouts would enjoy it here. it will be ready for summer break. also clubs for teachers same price.

I am surprised that the Girl Scouts would allow a troop to participate in any SCUBA activity as a Girl Scout event. They are extremely conservative in what they allow Girl Scouts to do as a sponsored activity. In order to swim, they must have a Red Cross trained life guard at the activity, even at if it is at a parents home.

The Girl Scouts follow a book called safety wise which outlines activities and the equipment and safety measures that must be undertaken at each activity. SCUBA done correctly is absolutely safety-wise approved and sanctioned. There are standards that troops and groups must abide by in order to participate. We have girls that are certified and we also do discover SCUBA all the time. The girls love it and it's fun for me too! There are destinations that are offered for older girls in Michigan and the Great Lakes! Brrr.... Give me FL or the Bahamas :) There is a reason the Girl Scouts have an outstanding safety record, while other organizations (not so much.....):11:

I may be out of turn....& overstepping my bounds & am not in any position to do anything other than suggest....
The Boy Scouts has Sea Base in the Florida Keys & one of the programs there is for SCUBA. Maybe they can do something for ya.
Even if they say they can't... You are not any worse off than you are now. Plus someone may be able to suggest another SCUBA program in the Keys..... Such as SeaCamp.
Just trying to help!
YIS
Grady

laurelgsc:
The Girl Scouts follow a book called safety wise which outlines activities and the equipment and safety measures that must be undertaken at each activity. SCUBA done correctly is absolutely safety-wise approved and sanctioned. There are standards that troops and groups must abide by in order to participate. We have girls that are certified and we also do discover SCUBA all the time. The girls love it and it's fun for me too! There are destinations that are offered for older girls in Michigan and the Great Lakes! Brrr.... Give me FL or the Bahamas :) There is a reason the Girl Scouts have an outstanding safety record, while other organizations (not so much.....):11:

I remember this book when my daughter was a Girl Scout. We couldn't have any of the girls swim at our house unless it was not a GS function. So, they would have their meeting, adjourn, and then go swimming since the Girl Scout meeting had officially ended. They couldn't go flying either. Boy Scouts can go flying, but all of the paperwork has to be approved by the Council office. Easy to do. Girl Scouts just can't or couldn't.

What about a Boy Scout co-ed venture crew ?
I haven't really seen that mentioned by anyone in reading thru these threads...

We have a group of older scouts (Crew) going for their OW cert right now.
It would be interesting to see how things would work if we had some older girls that would also like to get into Scuba...

My 12 y/o old daughter has been in girl scouts/brownies/daisies since she was little - I haven't been impressed with their organization - part of it may be due to her individual troop, but I know a lot of it stems from the organization.

I am going with her to get O/W certified together - I doubt an opportunity like that would ever even be considered by her troop or council.

The BS around here are far and above the GS in terms of what they get to do, character, team, & leadership building skills as well as just plain adventure. The GS around here seems to be more of a social club.

For those of you in Virginia we do have a Scuba Scout Program. This is for the Girl and Boy Scouts.

Best Fishes!!! <;///><

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom