Girl Injured in Training Accident - West Vancouver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Griffo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Girl, 17, in critical condition after West Vancouver scuba diving accident

A 17-year-old girl was airlifted to a hospital in critical condition Saturday afternoon after a scuba diving lesson went awry in Whytecliff Park.
The teenage victim, believed to be from the Lower Mainland, was underwater with a qualified dive master when something went wrong at around 4:45 p.m., West Vancouver police confirmed.
Fellow divers noticed the girl’s distress and pulled her out of the water, West Vancouver fire and rescue said.
“Luckily she had some buddies with her and they were able to bring her to shore,” said Assistant Chief Martin Ernst.
Once ashore, a fellow diver dialed 911. West Vancouver fire, police and ambulance all responded. The victim was unconscious but breathing when ambulances arrived, Ernst confirmed.
A medical helicopter was dispatched to a large field at Gleneagles Elementary School and picked up the victim at around 5 p.m. She was rushed to Vancouver General Hospital in critical condition.
Whytecliff Park is a popular site for divers, and summertime diving accidents regularly occur, Ernst said.
“It’s popular when the water gets warmer. We always have three to four diving incidents every season. The outcomes are varied,” Ernst said.
The incident is now under investigation by West Vancouver police. gslaughter@theprovince.com

It didn't look good, but recent reports say she is talking some altho still on a ventilator - some improvement. Thanks to great work by a number of rescuers and medical pros, she has a chance.

"The patient is stable and doing well," said a VGH spokesman."

updated news report: Teen diver injured off West Vancouver awake, talking - British Columbia - CBC News
Glad to hear the diver is doing better.

Frustrating reading the first news report. Reporters are not subject matter experts as they report on a broad field, and often get facts wrong, or use incorrect terminology. The first report refers to an "instructor" and a "qualified DM", during "lessons". Can't jump to the conclusion that a DM, and not an instructor, was instructing an open water class. In fact, can't jump to any conclusions. For those not familar with Wytecliff, it is the primary dive site used for open water and further lessons. It is a sheltered bay and while there can be some current in the bay, it is an ideal site for instruction. However, the vis at this time of year is poor. I was at a different dive site that day, but I suspect in the top 20 feet at WC, the vis could have ranged from 1 to 10 feet max. It would have made instruction that much more challenging, and present a further challenge for a "new" diver.

updated news report: Teen diver injured off West Vancouver awake, talking - British Columbia - CBC News
Glad to hear the diver is doing better.

Frustrating reading the first news report. Reporters are not subject matter experts as they report on a broad field, and often get facts wrong, or use incorrect terminology. The first report refers to an "instructor" and a "qualified DM", during "lessons". Can't jump to the conclusion that a DM, and not an instructor, was instructing an open water class. In fact, can't jump to any conclusions. For those not familar with Wytecliff, it is the primary dive site used for open water and further lessons. It is a sheltered bay and while there can be some current in the bay, it is an ideal site for instruction. However, the vis at this time of year is poor. I was at a different dive site that day, but I suspect in the top 20 feet at WC, the vis could have ranged from 1 to 10 feet max. It would have made instruction that much more challenging, and present a further challenge for a "new" diver.

I got OW certified at Whytecliff. For student divers who are somewhat iffy underwater or claustrophobic, this could be a very challenging dive site simply due to the visibility being very terrible during spring/early-mid summer. However, anyone who gets through this challenge will be more prepared to face future diving challenges that involve low viz situations. I remember one time, the viz at Whytecliff got so bad that it was only between 5 feet or so. It was scary just descending down to 15-feet which feels like forever because you can't see the bottom. In situations such as this, my buddy and I descend holding each other's BCD. Once deep enough, the viz opens up to something quite better. Go deeper, the viz improves dramatically.

I can imagine how the viz alone can freak out a student diver. Even if you do get down at depth where the viz opens up a bit, the underwater scenery is gloomy and dark (especially if you look towards deeper water). Oh, and also cold especially if your rental wet suit is ill-fitting. If there are seals swimming and playing about, it might just be enough to spook a jittery diver and send him or her into a panic.

I hope and pray the victim recovers from her accident.

the viz at Whytecliff got so bad that it was only between 5 feet or so. It was scary just descending down to 15-feet which feels like forever because you can't see the bottom

Sounds like normal British diving, on a good day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom