Ginnie Springs Trip Report 3-19-05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
WaterDawg and I dove Ginnie Springs Saturday afternoon. There was alot of classes taking place as well as alot of Spring Break eyecandy( :eyebrow: ) so the basin was pretty crowded. The water was clear all the way up to the river, but there was particle suspended in it from all the traffic. The usual fish were there(bream, bass, mullet, catfish) as well as slider turtles and one huge, basketball sized, aligator snapper. We had a good time exploring the ballroom and found a few catfish hiding away in different crevices. We explored the basin and swam up and down the spring run for some extra bottomtime before getting back to the car. After we geared down to drive to the Devils system parking lot, WaterDawg realized he had locked the keys in the trunk-D'Oh! All was saved when some bikers and a caver parked next to us(turned out to be hoopty from TDS) helped us break into the car - no biggy, just an extended SI. We explored the spring run for the Little Devil, Devils Eye, and Devils Ear as well as explored as far as ambient light would allow us(not far). I saw more of the same fish as well as some carp, freshwater flounder(soles), and a bowfin(my second time ever seeing one). We spent a pretty good amount of time hovering inside the opening to the Devils Eye watching two different cave teams exit the system - it really gets you wondering how far down the hole goes eh?

All in all, we had a good time - here are some pics

The rest can be found here http://www.suprbugman.com/gallery/album62

Wow, what a turtle - got all your fingers? :D
If you're like me, you feel better after trouble hits on a trip. I figure that it will be smooth after I get the obligatory pain out of the way. Glad you could break in to the vehicle so you could continue your activities.

Tamas:
Nice, so got shots of that 'eyecandy' you were referring to?

Maybe :D

SeaYoda:
Wow, what a turtle - got all your fingers? :D

Fingers are still here :) Actually, I would have liked to have gotten closer. He was in some shallow water and was kicking up quite a mess(one reason the photo isn't all that great) so I couldn't get close enough to get a good shot with good lighting from the internal flash. I have another photo that came out good, with much much less backscatter, but it's head is hidden in the shadows :(

We'll be back in the area for the MegaDive at the very least, who knows, maybe before then...

Hi Matt
Great report and pics. Glad to see the your NEW camera survived Ginnie Springs PART 2. I think the wife and I will be going to the megadive also. I am hoping to get wet this weekend to test out all my new camera stuff. So much to test out before our trip to Roatan. I got a brand new housing & strobe which must be depth tested. Then I have to figure out settings and best way to dive with the new setup. If all goes well I should have some great picts to share.

cardzard:
Hi Matt
Great report and pics. Glad to see the your NEW camera survived Ginnie Springs PART 2. I think the wife and I will be going to the megadive also. I am hoping to get wet this weekend to test out all my new camera stuff. So much to test out before our trip to Roatan. I got a brand new housing & strobe which must be depth tested. Then I have to figure out settings and best way to dive with the new setup. If all goes well I should have some great picts to share.

Yeah, Ginnie was an obstacle that I had to overcome :D Another 5060, but this one stayed dry - thank God.

Sounds like you have some photographic fun ahead of ya - can't wait to see the results after Roatan and I hope to see you guys at the MegaDive.

The dives were nice, no doubt, and even w/ the car thing I still had tons of fun. We saw no less than 40 bikinifish at 1ata, it was awsome. It was my first time over there and Devils Ear was simply breath taking.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom