Ginnie Springs diver missing - Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unfortunately a lot of people spoil it because they just want to hear gory details and don’t want to better themselves from it.
They keep saying this and I think it's just another cop-out on their part. Knowledge is power and they keep their power by keeping us in the dark. Yeah, yeah, I'm quite cynical about the whole mess and I'll probably piss someone off. Make no doubt about it. I love the recovery divers. I don't want to do what they do... ever. I've been a part of OW body searches and it wasn't fun. They have a number of psychological issues they have to deal with. But hell, I don't want to be one of their future clients either. I want to know what happened so I can avoid it. I think most divers want to know for the very same reason.

Blueprint for Survival?
Not always applicable to CCR dives, but sometimes.

I don't even know of a map going back 5,000ft, has anything been published?

There's a lot of excuses given, but I think they are trying to protect the reputation of cave diving. They obviously don't think we are smart enough to handle the truth. . . . They keep saying this and I think it's just another cop-out on their part. Knowledge is power and they keep their power by keeping us in the dark.
Not trying to be difficult, and asking (sincerely) for information: who is/are 'they'?

I believe the Hancock map does, but I can't check as mine is in my car, and I don't have a PDF of it.

The Hancock map I have at least goes to 4200 down Mainline and 4170 at the furthest restriction past the Henkle. I've heard that there maybe some mapping that has been performed back there since, but I don't have it, and have never really gone to look for it because I've never been past the Henkle. I still have plenty to do in the first 4000 p'

Not always applicable to CCR dives, but sometimes.

I don't even know of a map going back 5,000ft, has anything been published?

I believe the Hancock map does, but I can't check as mine is in my car, and I don't have a PDF of it.

the Hancock map doesn’t go all the way to 5000. I think it’s just shy. I looked this am and can’t remember the exact distance. The area in question here I am pretty positive isn’t on any current map. But I know the distance the diver was found but not exact specifics at this point. There are a few people in the know about the “new” section of Ginnie and they share it with people they’re friends with that they think can safely trek that far back.

The Hancock map I have at least goes to 4200 down Mainline and 4170 at the furthest restriction past the Henkle. I've heard that there maybe some mapping that has been performed back there since, but I don't have it, and have never really gone to look for it because I've never been past the Henkle. I still have plenty to do in the first 4000 p'

I'm bombing around the first thousand feet.

the Hancock map doesn’t go all the way to 5000. I think it’s just shy. I looked this am and can’t remember the exact distance. The area in question here I am pretty positive isn’t on any current map. But I know the distance the diver was found but not exact specifics at this point. There are a few people in the know about the “new” section of Ginnie and they share it with people they’re friends with that they think can safely trek that far back.

I wonder if Adam will publish it on his map.

Not trying to be difficult, and asking (sincerely) for information: who is/are 'they'?
The group of about ~10-12 IUCRR divers who end up doing the recoveries in FL. Let's face it this is almost a uniquely FL issue. The Mexican cave diving fatality rate is a fraction of the FL rate. The cave diving fatality rate for rest of the world is even lower still. Instead of blaming the recovery divers for not publishing "reports", perhaps the energy would be better directed at asking why FL has so many cave diving fatalities in the first place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom