Gili islands first, then Komodo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you need the dive guide to solve your own issue then you better employ a personal baby sitter. In group diving there is NOT a chance that the guide could possibly aware everything happens behind him/her.

Of course, one can have a bad experience diving anywhere. With a knowledgeable guide, most issues are can be dealt with and safely resolved. My two cents...
One can have a memorable experience with currents anywhere, and those who wish to dive currents can do worse than learn from the experience of others.

Thanks for the replies! Very helpful. I definitely think my gf should get certified in Bali now. We've planned to get her certified on Nusa Penida - the island looks interesting and after 4 days in Ubud, we thought an island might be nice. Lembongan seems too "backpacker" for us - Penida looks very beautiful and rustic. I'm getting a sense from the replies, though, that staying in Padang Bai might be better? We will be going late Aug/early Sept.

Thanks for the replies! Very helpful. I definitely think my gf should get certified in Bali now. We've planned to get her certified on Nusa Penida - the island looks interesting and after 4 days in Ubud, we thought an island might be nice. Lembongan seems too "backpacker" for us - Penida looks very beautiful and rustic. I'm getting a sense from the replies, though, that staying in Padang Bai might be better? We will be going late Aug/early Sept.

Padang Bai was nice. Dove with Geko Dive, slept at Bloo Lagoon. Both were very nice and recommended. We did 3 local dives that were very easy/beginner friendly. Another 2 dives at the Liberty wreck (1 - 1.5 hour drive from Padang Bai), again easy enough for a beginner. If we had stayed longer I would have done the dives off of Nusa Penida. You can certainly have a great diving trip in Padang Bai.

Head guy on our Komodo liveaboard basically said the only reason any boat would take a beginner diver to Komodo is because you are going to pay them. Not because they think it is a good idea.

Contact Cedric or James @Geko Dive. They have very good instructors and an excellent safety record. after you are certified, go with a Geko to Nusa Penida for drift dives on the north side. Give my best to the boys from Charlie.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom