gilboa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is a chart on the web page. I had 41F mid April last year. that would be at 50ft in the deep end

Thanks. A little cool, but if I'm up to speed on my drysuit, doable (I have done those temps wet, but the after dive is brrrrr). Are there many (any) students there that early in the year? We were to Gilboa mid fall 2002 and the diving was great till about 2:00pm Saturday, by which time it was churned up in anything under 50 feet.

The 3 LDS's in our area typically wait until after Memorial Day for student trips, but there can always be exceptions!

diver brian and i dove gilboa this past weekend, and it was great two days of diving. the vis. wasen't as good as it has been, but with all the run off from the snow and rain it was to be exspected. water temp. was 41 in the shallows and 38 by the tubs where the springs feed the quarry. if your a deep or tect diver its about the same as the tubs about 38-40 at 125 feet. on friday we where the only divers there, but on saturday a few brave divers venture out but we had the whole quarry to ourselfs.
maxbottim

Groundhog246:
Thanks. A little cool, but if I'm up to speed on my drysuit, doable (I have done those temps wet, but the after dive is brrrrr). Are there many (any) students there that early in the year? We were to Gilboa mid fall 2002 and the diving was great till about 2:00pm Saturday, by which time it was churned up in anything under 50 feet.

... the "student and silt" issue won't be problem if the divers with AOW's and that are comfortable deep diving simply file a deep plan and spend the "chocolate milk" part of the day in the deep end.

And Tim, it is always a good day diving when we dive! I am glad that you invited me. If anyone here needs an advanced instructor, Tim comes highly recommended.

I and my favourite buddies are quite comfortable deep and way too familiar with cold. Those that dive Tobermory know what I mean. BUT, I don't have doubles or a pony set up, so by my understanding (at least the last time we were there), I wasn't allowed in the deep end. Not knowing the layout our first couple of dives, we did happen over the edge and down about 60 feet on the wall (where it got real cold real quick and we only had our jackets on and our legs froze) before it sunk in where we were and we reversed course.

If it's 41 in the shallows already, if we get some warm days and sun over the next month it should rise a bit by mid April.

Groundhog246:
I and my favourite buddies are quite comfortable deep and way too familiar with cold. Those that dive Tobermory know what I mean.
<snip>

If it's 41 in the shallows already, if we get some warm days and sun over the next month it should rise a bit by mid April.

I dive Toby with Tim once per year. I know exactly what you mean about cold and deep, LOL.

I am hoping that things warm up a bit and it shouldn't be too much of an issue. Keep in mind that the coldest part of Gilboa Quarry where the spring feeds in near the tubes. From my experience there, that part of the quarry was in the neighborhood of 39-41 degrees F last year on April 11. The shallows were in the balmy fifties.

I wasn't aware that there were springs in the area of the tubes. As I recall, it was bloody cold by the tubes in September, while the shallows were positively balmy (in comparison to my usual dive sites).

Back
Top Bottom