Gilboa Summer Viz?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soggy_Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We're planning a trip to Gilboa, and trying to decide what month to go. How does the visibility change there between, say, June and October?

Thanks,
Soggy_Diver

A much better question is "How does the visibility change there between, say, Friday and Sunday?"

Depending on where you go, the viz either doesn't change much (mostly the deep side where a dive plan must be filed at the office) or is affected by the presence of divers who are still working on proper buoyancy and weighting. (Yeah, I could have said new OW classes, but there are plenty of certified divers of all kinds that stir up the bottom from time to time.)

The viz can be fantastic early on Saturday morning (and by fantastic, I mean 30-50 ft, it is still a quarry) and drop to <10ft by the afternoon. The Great Lakes Wrecking Crew forum will have lots of posts about Gilboa, but when we have our semi-annual Meet & Greet there, we plan for April and October/November partly to avoid the crowds, but also because there are fewer students to mess up the viz.

-Rob

P.S. Uh, yeah, you already posted in the GLWC section so you're in the right place. That should be a lesson for me when I'm responding to posts from the search results.

Last edited:
I highly recommend diving at Gilboa during the week, you can have the place pretty much to yourself and the visibility has usually recovered from the weekend by Wednesday. If you're doing night dives in the summer do them on Friday night, Saturday night the water is often the same color as the bottom and you can actually face plant into it without ever seeing it coming.

While winter diving at Gilboa I have seen visibility of 80 feet or so, I could see the entire length of the helicopter and could see the bus as well. Winter is a great time to dive Gilboa and now that Mike has been sprucing up the office area with tables/chairs, etc you have somewhere warm to hang out without bringing your own tents and heat!
Ber :lilbunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom