Gilboa Cost??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The obvious ultimate is to set-up camp for your stay and to dive from your site with close proximity to the docks. Unfortunately the property is narrow and the shoreline is limited. You can't maximize the day visitor experience and the camping diver experience in the same space and get good utilization. On top of that from what I remember the sites are not at all defined so it must be anarchy with day visitors trying to wedge in around campers in the summertime. The first Saturday in November was hectic enough.

You can't even imagine! Back in June I arrived at 11 am on a Friday. I parked my truck in the spot associated with the site I was going to take. My truck had the tag that clearly marked me as a camper. I went ahead and did a dive with Barracuda2 before setting up camp. I came out of the water only to find out that some guy from the group that had the 4-5 sites next to me setup his tent on my site right in front of my truck! He said the people he was with (who had the sites next to me) said it was OK. WTH?! After snapping at him a bit I went ahead and let him stay there, moved the picnic table and fire ring and setup my tent there.

That weekend it was literally wall to wall vehicles during the afternoon on Saturday the entire length of the camp ground. I have never seen so many vehicles packed in so tightly. It was just unreal!

Poor Ber was leading a class and she arrived sometime late Friday afternoon. There were just NO sites anywhere close to an entry so I let her squat on my site also. That I didn't mind ... I offered ... and she fed me! :10: But the guy who simply helped himself to my site ... :mooner:. Now I always setup camp FIRST THING before diving!

That weekend it was literally wall to wall vehicles during the afternoon on Saturday the entire length of the camp ground. I have never seen so many vehicles packed in so tightly. It was just unreal!

Poor Ber was leading a class and she arrived sometime late Friday afternoon. There were just NO sites anywhere close to an entry so I let her squat on my site also. That I didn't mind ... I offered ... and she fed me! :10: But the guy who simply helped himself to my site ... :mooner:. Now I always setup camp FIRST THING before diving!

Actually it was basically wall to wall vehicles by the time I arrived Friday afternoon, there wasn't a campsite to be had. I don't need much room, I can cram people in a tiny space and I don't mind making the students hike for an entry but there was just NOWHERE available until DH offered some of what little room he had managed to stake out. When he says he let me squat on his site he means he let me set that 10x10 tent up so close to the front door of his tent it was almost easier to walk through the 10x10to unzip his tent's front door than to squeeze between them to enter his. THANK YOU DH! BIG HUGS!
Ber :lilbunny:

What about re-thinking opening the walk-in entry closest to the office and parking that has been roped off for about two years now. It was great for day use only.

I think it was originally closed to protect fish nests during the spring. But couldn’t it be opened during the summer months when the fish have finished spawning and the crowds start to show up? Or could an entry dock be built there which would be environmentally friendly regarding the spawning fish? Just a thought.

What about re-thinking opening the walk-in entry closest to the office and parking that has been roped off for about two years now. It was great for day use only.

I think it was originally closed to protect fish nests during the spring. But couldn’t it be opened during the summer months when the fish have finished spawning and the crowds start to show up? Or could an entry dock be built there which would be environmentally friendly regarding the spawning fish? Just a thought.

Having people walk in there royally screws up the visibility in the rest of the quarry. I know he had a plan to build a dock that would be accessed from the area where he removed the hill but I don't know what the status of that is.

Having people walk in there royally screws up the visibility in the rest of the quarry. I know he had a plan to build a dock that would be accessed from the area where he removed the hill but I don't know what the status of that is.

Yes...I saw plans for a "T dock" that was suppose to be built there and was sort of eluding to that.

Yes...I saw plans for a "T dock" that was suppose to be built there and was sort of eluding to that.

Now that would be a great addition! Ahhhh, if Mike's funds and time were only unlimited.

I would love to see that though. I think it would really help to relieve the issues discussed on this thread. Not completely, but I think it would help.

Actually it was basically wall to wall vehicles by the time I arrived Friday afternoon, there wasn't a campsite to be had. I don't need much room, I can cram people in a tiny space and I don't mind making the students hike for an entry but there was just NOWHERE available until DH offered some of what little room he had managed to stake out. When he says he let me squat on his site he means he let me set that 10x10 tent up so close to the front door of his tent it was almost easier to walk through the 10x10to unzip his tent's front door than to squeeze between them to enter his. THANK YOU DH! BIG HUGS!

Me casa es su casa!

The obvious problem here is that Mike isn't thinking the right way. There is no money in catering to the masses. He needs to start adjusting his thinking.

First off, he needs to cut down the number of spots and put up some decent cottages. To raise the funds for them, he should sell them off as time shares. Imagine, telling your friends you are going to your time share at the quary. Need to expand further, get rid of those benches at the bottom those can be cottages overhanging the water, of course they would be premium priced.

Equip them with decent beds, a kitchen, gas grill out front, of course a place to hang and dry your gear. Cable or satelight for the big screen plasma TV for catching football games in the fall. With DVR of course, just in case you get back late from a dive.

Like any good resort he needs to hire porters to help you with your gear. Hey mister, need a fill, no problem we take care of that, you want Air or Nitrox. No more carrying your gear up the steps, the porters can have your gear all ready for you to strap on at the dock. Help you with your fins. Maybe a heated towel in the cooler days with a cup of coffee. In the summer of course a lemonade. Maybe Mike could even put in some elevators instead of those stairs.

Of course a few swank restraunts up by the office for dinner would be nice. After all who wants to drive all the way to Findlay. Why go all the way there when you could get a nice steak dinner at the club house. Of course a nice bar would have to be added, with a nice porch where everyone could gather in the evening to enjoy the sunset and discuss the days diving.

Since the rest of the quary is getting upgraded. I'm sure he would be able to get those rusting old hulks out and replace them with a few Lincolns, Mercedes, Cadilacs, you know upscale the place. If we could figure out how to get it there, maybe get a good size ship and sink in the deep end for the wreck divers to explore.

Visibility should also increase, granted you will always have a few people who will want to get certified just like in the caribean. But for the most part, I don't expect to see many students there, those that will be will be much better able to pay for instruction. Now the question is, will it be the club diving instructor, or will you hire an instructor to help you become a competent diver for the week, at an appropriate level of compensation of course.

I'm sure if wall think this out carefully we can come up with a fine list of things to suggest to Mike on how to improve the property.

Ya know Bob, you might have something there :D I'm in!

Glad you liked it. I was feeling a bit sarcastic last night. Hopefully we can get some others to add some ideas to it and have some fun.

But whatever you do, don't show it to Mike, I'm not sure he has a sense of humor and lord knows what might happen.

Back
Top Bottom