Gidds v. The Drysuit Round II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see the laptop near by, did the suit come with a USB port? :15:

well congrats
finally
Ah a bare suit,. those are pretty good suits
i was looking at one of them last season

Ok I am relatively calm now :multi:
I released the suit from the box and took the requisite pics (sorry I live alone so you'll have to wait for pics of me IN it) then I READ THE INSTRUCTIONS, had a go at the zipper (very carefully) and decided I ought to try it on. It came with a light-weight set of undies so I put those on to see how many layers I could stuff in the suit. Man those things are HOT!:11: I also fished a fin out of the gear locker to make sure it was compatable with the boots. I climbed in VERY carefully up to my waist and then put on the boots. Still need to figure out how to tuck in the laces or else some fish will think they're lunch or some naughty seal with nothing better to do will untie them. Ok boots on. Boy don't I look silly from the waist down. Carefully get into each arm. Now for the neck. This is a back-zip suit mind you. Ok got in without issues. Neck seal is WAY tighter than the sasquach suit I borrowed for the pool. No I did not dare try zipping it myself. Go have a look in the mirror and have a good laugh. The neck seal is certainly in need of a circumcision :devil: I will ask for expert assistance on that though, no way am I doing that myself. Time to try on the fin. The fin and the boots just BARELY fit together (Genesis Aquaflex fins that I JUST got) Ok I now feel like I climbed into the Sahara in a bag so out of the suit I climb (carefully), strip off hotter-than-hell drysuit undies and catch my breath for a minute. Ok time to play with inflator and exhaust valve a bit. Ok they seem pretty workable. I now have my very own flogging device...I mean LP hose with silly little black bat wings so I can actually get the thing off with my gloves on. I also got some other interesting stuff: drysuit hood that I am still trying to put on (I think it's smarter than I am), interesting carrying bag for the LBD that folds up into a wee bag when the LBD is not in it, the fricken HOT undies, and a mesh bag to store them in. I also got a bunch of Bare promotion materials and zipper wax and talc etc. I love TOYS! :multi: MUST GO DIVING! I can't beleive I bought a drysuit!:11: When I started diving again this summer I figured I'd be too cold by September and MAYBE I'd get a new wetsuit for next year. HA!:multi: :D

The process to trim your neck and wrist seals is same for any latex suit. It's not a big deal..

Your manual should have sizing guideline letting you know which sizing line corresponds to what neck size in inches. Just start at just above your neck wrist size. You always want to begin trimming less than you think you will need. You can always remove another ring but you cannot add it back.

If want to see how to trim seals, go to DUI site and they have a good section devoted to trimming seals with lots of pics. http://www.dui-online.com/how_to_trim.htm

For the neck seal, position the seal as low on your neck as possible. It should be snug, but not tight. If you are new to drysuit diving, a snug neck seal may feel a bit uncomfortable out of the water. Once in the water, a properly trimmed neck seal is comfortable.

Wrist seals should be worn just above the wrist bone. They should be snug but not tight and should not restrict blood flow to the hands. If you experience tingling hands trim seals further.

I hope they gave you the artic extreme CT-200 bare undies. You'll need those plus some nice thickish poly pro undies under that to dive thru the winter.

Wallmart has the light under thermals in their sports dept. I may get some for my next dive for added warmth. Dont be fooled by how hot you were in your room.

What are you going to do about gloves. If you are going with mitts I'de suggest the Posieden Mitts from Diveinn.com.

http://www.scubastore.com/shop.asp?id_familia=1&id_subfamilia=5

Congrats on the suit arriving! Hope you didn't give the delivery guy any bruises when you tackled him.....

Woo Hoo! Congratulations mom...it's a Bare :D

RIOceanographer:
Congrats on the suit arriving! Hope you didn't give the delivery guy any bruises when you tackled him.....

I didn't tackle him but I did run downstairs with just my socks on, no shoes, and was hopping around on the top step while he took FOREVER to find the little slip I had to sign.

As for gloves that's a contentious issue with me since I have such tiny hands so I haven't quite decided yet.
What kinda gloves do YOU wear ScubaSarus? Your hands must be ALMOST as tiny as mine :devil:
I am ordering some 300 wt. polertec undies cut to my size. The ones that came with the suit are like 100's or something I haven't quite figured out how drysuit undies are classified and labelled yet.:06:
OMG HOW do I get my hood on exactly? Since it has no bib (obviously) and a seal around the face I just cannot get purchase to pull it and it grabs my hair.

Gloves I have about six pair of mitts that I have experimeted with and glued and sewed and cut the V off etc. I'm going for either a pair of 7mm henderson gold core; or the poseiden mitts that European divers swear by for ice diving. I posted a link to. As for now I use thes picasso mitts that are also on the site I posted. I got them off ebay for $5. I can get the picasso mitts to stay dry in a wetsuit only due to the seals in the wrist of the mitt that tuck under the wetsuit sleeve (can't do that with a drysuit seal I don't think).

The hood needs no bib and you will never know it gone. Just powder it a bit or pull it over the head. I don't undue the hood zipper (no need to.) The hard part is putting on the gloves and then the mask in the cold water. Put the gloves on last and your hands may freeze, put the gloves on first and its a pain to get the mask on and sealed to your face. This is what you can practice in your room. Pratice using your thick gloves to work clips, inflator, etc.

Put the mask on first in the P-lot and you walk down with a fogged up mask. A trick is to put water in the mask so you can shake it around while walking to clear the fog. Make sure its like warm.

Hey Chris,, that quarry water is pretty "refreshing" aint it?? (ha ha) It's still open, when you coming over for another headache? It may kill you at this point! Imagine how I felt in a wetsuit! I was pretty close to putting on a skirt and running out too!

Back
Top Bottom