Giant Octopus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We had one try to mug a friend of mine for her regulator about a month ago. He checked out her mask, too. They are BIG animals, and although I love looking at them, watching this one swarm all over Claudette's face made me VERY nervous!

Sightings of octopuses in dens have been so numerous this fall that we've almost gotten to the point of saying, "Oh, another octopus . . . let's go find something INTERESTING." Not quite, but almost :) Seeing them out in the open is something quite a bit more unusual and special.

We had one try to mug a friend of mine for her regulator about a month ago. He checked out her mask, too. They are BIG animals, and although I love looking at them, watching this one swarm all over Claudette's face made me VERY nervous!
I was too busy to be nervous! :shocked2: The only reason Mr. Pus didn't TAKE my mask was that it was strapped to my head.

He yanked it hard.
It didn't come loose.
He released it and it snapped back onto my face... a bit cock-eyed and flooded.. but right back on to my grille.

By the time I cleared it and looked up, all I could see was a ceiling of All-Octopus-All-The-Time, coming down on my head like the mother ship in Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind.

I was raising a hand to deflect it when the octopus suddenly billowed out like a huge flesh umbrella and things got dark.

Abruptly, the sun came back as the 'pus release all holds on me (at your strong encouragement!!) and jetted away in a huff!!

Both my pockets had been opened, and only my dentured death grip on my reg had kept my second stage from going the way of my mask.

The strength demonstrated was startling.
Unforgettable.
I wouldn't be so mellow if approached again by a GPO, and I have a new-found delight and appreciation for all the California octopuses that are smaller than me.

As it should be. :cool2:

Great moment in the middle of a great trip.

Good fortune in your search to dive with these amazing GPOs.

~~~~
Claudette

P.S. Thanks, Lynne, from an appreciative buddy!
P.P.S. I did nothing to irritate this curious octopus. He had just been chased ferociously out of a crevice by a wolf eel and had come to rest on a rock right in front of me. I waved a gentle, gloved finger towards it, without touching it... and it decided I was worth investigating. Quite a morning!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom