Giant Lobsters....Where do you land um?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

porgyhunter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
:no:Here is a potential problem I foresee. I can lobster 3 rec lobster areas, with 3 differant regs. The ''outer Cape Cod Zone'' is the only one that has ''no'' maximum limit. This area goes from P-town harbor around the east side of Cape Cod and produces Big Bugs. If I shoot across the Bay from Sandwich, it's a easy ride of 30min to P-town. Catch my Giants, limit out and if I get checked there no problem. The problem is when I return to the Sandwich ramp [always swarming with EPs] How do I proove I got the Biggins from P-Town and not from the Gulf of Maine Zone. I would really hate to have to explain it in COURT!

NO ****!!!! launched once from there...Parked wrong cost me $ioo...Thats why I'll travel 20mi by BOAT!!!!

Handheld GPS and digicam... snap a shot when you surface of the GPS screen reading in the P-town zone with the GPS and the bugs in the shot and the screen nice and clear. have a laptop with card reader or a cam-cord in the car so you can show the pics on screen big enough for the water police to read the lat/long on the pic. I doubt a cameras back side viewscreen would be big enough.

Thats what is advised here for Blue Cod in the sounds where the limit is MUCH less than open water... so if you use the sounds boat ramp but boat out and fish the open cook strait beyond the reduced cod limits, you have to proove each was caught outside the limit area.

I would definitely contact to Conservation Office of the boat launch you will be using and ask them. Maybe you can arrange and tell them ahead of time what your plans are.

GPS will be a god idea and show your tracks etc that are date stamped.

Make a point of getting checked where you dive and ask for a recipt. The GPS idea is good as well. I'd say the more ways you can prove you were where you say you were the less inclined the enforcment officer will be to charge you. IMO for what it's worth with either or both of the above in court you'll be walking. Your giant bugs of course will be long gone as they will seize them at the boat ramp if they cite you.:depressed: This is someone's idea of living in a free county. Seems to me more like a country where freedom is regulated. One where you need to worry about proving your innocent.:depressed:

Is illegal to possess a improperly sized lobster within any of the zones? If it is, you are in violation no matter where it was taken. If not, absent your confession or witness to you boarding the illegal bug, your good to go.

Getting opinion from the DNR, in writing, s a good plan. Send your inquiry by at least email preferably regular mail. 'I want to leave port at x in zone A, take lobsters in zone B, and return to port in zone A. Am I in violation for returning to port with lobsters over y in size? Carry a copy of the letter with you and show the EP your gps log.

Thanks Kiwi, Saurus, and A.D.....All great responses, ! giant fine can ruin your whole day:shakehead:

Thinking more about this the best solution to this maybe to leave the "giant" as in breeding size bugs and take the smaller ones, over min. of course and enjoy the tender meat and the legal path of least resistance.
The breeders should be breeding. Just my opinion it is of course your choice.

Thinking more about this the best solution to this maybe to leave the "giant" as in breeding size bugs and take the smaller ones, over min. of course and enjoy the tender meat and the legal path of least resistance.
The breeders should be breeding. Just my opinion it is of course your choice.

Your so right After Dark....I see some giants off Sandwich and may catch them to stick in my buddies face :rofl3: But I'am happy with the 4lbs max in the GOM. I guess I'am looking for that trophy 35lbs Bug but I may have a soft heart there too.:idk:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom