Giant Kelp Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nwscubamom

Contributor
Reaction score
A friend of mine is planning a trip to Monterey this winter, and asked me a question I didn't know the answer to, since my trip had been in late April.

Does the kelp die back in the winter? Completely? Or just partway?

Can you local divers help me out? We have tons of Bull Kelp up here, but it almost completely dies off in the winter.

Giant bladder kelp in southern California is a perennial which suffers some die back during elevated summer surface temperatures (not a problem in Monterey Bay). Bull kelp (which is also in the Monterey area) is an annual if I'm not mistaken.

Dr. Bill

There is less kelp in the winter, after storms come in and rip it loose. Even so, there is still quite a bit of it.

is the best time to dive in Monterey Bay. The air temps are cooler, but the water temps are not any colder, and sometimes a little warmer. The plankton is not quite as plentiful so visibility is a little bit better.

The warmest dives I personally have logged in Monterey were in November 2001 and October 2002, the coldest were in May 2002 and May 2003.

However your question was about Kelp. There is plenty of kelp in places in Monterey Bay year round, but don't let that dismay you or your friend. It is beautiful, and home to many creatures. The kelp is thicker in some places than others, and it doesn't grow everywhere, so if you are not comfortable in the kelp, you can find places to avoid it usually.

Wristshot

PS: Hello to skynscuba from another San Jose diver

After the December storms last year, there was hardly any kelp at the Breakwater in January. Giant kelp isn't designed to withstand big storm waves (as opposed to bull kelp, with its frondless stalk). Deeper stalks may not get ripped out by the holdfast, but tops certainly can get shortened. And of course it grows much slower in the winter sun.
I'd agree that if you avoid storms, winter can be a great time to dive because clarity is likely better. And the day before a storm hits can be good if the wind starts coming from the SE and dampens the usual NW swell. I've (luckily) had some nice days with smaller than usual weekend crowds because of predicted storms that hadn't arrived as predicted.
If it's stormy, I've seen waves breaking over the wall into the parking lot at Breakwater.

kelpdiver once bubbled...
If it's stormy, I've seen waves breaking over the wall into the parking lot at Breakwater.

Now that Id like to see! If you were really nuts you could walk down the steps leading to the beach and look into the ocean while holding on to the hand rail. :)

Back
Top Bottom