Giant Jellyfish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaTexan

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
My brother showed me this picture in this weekend's edition of LIFE Magazine and I found it amazing! The cutline to the picture says these "monster" jellyfish are up to 6 feet wide and weight up to 450 pounds. They're being found in the Pacific Ocean and the Sea of Japan.

Photograph by Tetsuji Asano

jellyfish.jpg

Note to self: Do NOT ,go diving where you will run into one of these friggin things!!!!!

Nomura's Jelly

060119_jellyfish.jpg

January 19, 2006—Pitting two hands against thousands of stinging tentacles, a diver attaches a tracking device to a giant Nomura's jellyfish off the coast of Japan on October 4, 2005.

Since last summer, Japanese waters have been inundated with the massive sea creatures, which can grow 6.5 feet (2 meters) wide and weigh up to 450 pounds (220 kilograms).

Though the jellyfish are more common in Chinese and Korean waters, their numbers have grown a hundredfold in some areas off Japan, causing a crisis in the local fishing industry.

The invertebrates are choking fishing nets and poisoning the catch with their toxic stingers, fishers say. And although reports of serious human injury are rare, there are records of people dying from the creature's noxious sting.

The invasion has prompted a series of studies by the Japanese government to research the animal, whose mating and migration habits are poorly understood.

Last month, Japanese scientists speculated that the jellyfish are drifting from China's Yangtze River Delta, where unusually heavy rains may have created a flow that is pushing the jellyfish flotilla to Japan.

Another theory suggests that seas heated by global warming are better suited for breeding, turning the Nomura's otherwise modest numbers into an armada.

As the research continues, Japanese fishers continue to grapple with another issue: What to do with all the jellyfish they've caught? So far, resourceful anglers have turned their unwanted catch into crab food, fertilizer, and novelty snacks—served dried and salted.

<from nationalgeographic.com>

OY!! I would FREAK if I saw one of those washing up on the Jersey Shore!

Would be neat to see diving though!

dbg40:
Note to self: Do NOT ,go diving where you will run into one of these friggin things!!!!!

Come On all It needs is a big hug and some love from you :D

My sister and I were doing one of our AOW training dives in Pensacola, Fl and ended up in a school of jellyfish (do jellyfish come in schools? herds?). Anyway she got one wrapped around her face, probably would have died if it were one of those beasts!

Primdrumma:
My sister and I were doing one of our AOW training dives in Pensacola, Fl and ended up in a school of jellyfish (do jellyfish come in schools? herds?)

The cutline said a collection of jellyfish is called a smack.

ScubaTexan:
The cutline said a collection of jellyfish is called a smack.
So I guess we ended up smack in the middle of a smack of jellyfish! Sorry Cheesy

Generally i'm not one to be scared of marine life at least the sort that is common here.

But if I saw a smack of those jellyfish heading in my general direction i'd absolutely freak out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom