Ghost trap retrieval volunteers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

head up to cape anne area...when the lobstermen are dropping traps on your head
let me know how you want to help them.
they drive the boats over your head and runover your flags
they hate divers PERIOD!!
they think we ripoff their traps.
so have fun supporting the DIVER HATERS
p.s
good luck with all the mystery flat tires up there

Whose boat will be used? Many of the ghost traps are fouled on moorings, other traps, etc. and even after being cut free will need to be hauled. Most of the fishermen would rather be fishing but if you approach them and offer your services you can bet they'll be able to take you to the locations. With that said I have heard (no idea if it's true or not) that SCUBA gear and diving for traps from a fishing boat is a no-no; yet, I have made many dives from a working boat and never had any trouble.

With all that said, make no mistake that recovering traps is work. You might have to break them free of the bottom, or drag them several feet away from an entanglement. Furtthermore,depending on the location(s) and number of traps, you might make several dives, perhaps rapidly, and they might be short in duration. For example, I once did 6 dives in less than 1 hour, shortest was about 3 minutes, longest was something like 10-15, depths ranged from 20 or so feet to almost 70. Why? Because the location of the traps meant I had to do the dives while the diving was doable.

With all that said, make no mistake that recovering traps is work. You might have to break them free of the bottom, or drag them several feet away from an entanglement. Furtthermore,depending on the location(s) and number of traps, you might make several dives, perhaps rapidly, and they might be short in duration. For example, I once did 6 dives in less than 1 hour, shortest was about 3 minutes, longest was something like 10-15, depths ranged from 20 or so feet to almost 70. Why? Because the location of the traps meant I had to do the dives while the diving was doable.

This is all true, recovering the traps is hard, make it worth our while to HELP the lobstermen. :idk:

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the idea of divers regularly carrying cutters to remove the doors from the ghost traps. It allows critters to make better use of them and doesn't displace anyone who might already be at home. Nets are another matter.

I like the idea of divers regularly carrying cutters to remove the doors from the ghost traps. It allows critters to make better use of them and doesn't displace anyone who might already be at home. Nets are another matter.

The traps still belong to the fisherman, and as others pointed out it's generally unlawful to "molest" the traps. I recovered more than one "ghost" that contained bugs; those traps were tied in and hauled up with the others.

what makes traps a menace is the plastic on top of the wire, it does not decompose for a very LONG while and once the trap starts to rust it promotes the sharp edges on the wire. this would not be an issue if they would be either non-coated or totally synthetic to make them worth retriving even after years of exposure.
retrieving them is a mostly bounce dive matter, not fun, not relaxing or interesting, so its not worth it considering the current attitude of most lobstermen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom