Ghost trap retrieval volunteers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Foundation is presently in its 2nd year of a 2 year federally funded program "whose goals are to assess the presence of ghost gear, record data about it's condition and by-catch, and work with lobster communities to help establish systems for future gear disposal options." ............."In addition to salvaging or disposing of the gear, this project will allow DMR to investigate by-catch and escape vent performance, and examine the impact of ghost gear on lobster and other species."

Thought I'd post of picture of some traps that washed ashore this spring. It wasn't the only bunch of traps that washed ashore this spring @ Gloucester. Too bad they aren't traps from the criminals at Lane's Cove. :angrymob:

X

Attachments

• Lobster traps.jpg
    Lobster traps.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 98
We've seen a huge pile of crushed traps under water in Front Beach. It was actually beautiful, looking like a tower and providing shelter for marine life too... but i also agree that it can easily become deadly for the same marine life with the tides and currents or any storm.
I found the one we saw impressive, bigger and taller than your picture.

if nobody has legal salvage rights on the lost traps it should be the fisherman's responsibility and expense to recover and recycle them, otherwise it's like we are giving them the rights to **** is the street and we can't even clean up after them because it's their property, ...
just my two cents.
p.s. i don't see lobstermen cooperating with anybody anytime soon, no unless that somebody has the power to round them up and keep them on the shore and a foundation has no such power, if we would be talking NOAA or something like that maybe, maybe.
p.p.s. as long as somebody pays for my air i'll donate my time and effort to recover that garbage, i'm all for having a clean ocean, i just don't see the reason why the "offending owners" are getting away with littering and not even paying for the cleanup costs.

i remember at catidrel rocks last year there was a huge ball with netting also, just the thought of getting hooked on that puppy sent a chill up my wet suit

Why would we want to retrieve these? If trying to protect critters from getting trapped, it would be simpler to just cut the trap. Retrieving it wouldn't seem necessary. Just my thoughts.

I agree David. If a pot is cut then it becomes habitat for many creatures. Pots eventually rot away and go back to mother earth. It takes a long time from our perspective but a flash in time really. In the meantime it provides shelter for eels, lobsters, crabs, with seaweed, anemones, soft corals, sponges, ......growing on them.
IMO you'll be killing sea life by taking them out.

I agree David. If a pot is cut then it becomes habitat for many creatures. Pots eventually rot away and go back to mother earth. It takes a long time from our perspective but a flash in time really. In the meantime it provides shelter for eels, lobsters, crabs, with seaweed, anemones, soft corals, sponges, ......growing on them.
IMO you'll be killing sea life by taking them out.

i guess they do, eventually, ......
what do you think is the decomposition time of the plastic covering the wire? habitat wise i wish they would sink a couple of old decommissioned ships rather that leave behind those ugly traps.

if nobody has legal salvage rights on the lost traps it should be the fisherman's responsibility and expense to recover and recycle them, otherwise it's like we are giving them the rights to **** is the street and we can't even clean up after them because it's their property
I am very much with veriqster on this. I would do it... if lobstermen drive us to the location, on their own boats, and pay for their own fuel. That would be working with lobster communities.

If "working with lobster communities" means "we pick up their trash, and in exchange [-]they[/-] some of them promise not to shoot us" -- forget it.

And BTW, I do not pick up aluminum cans from the bottom unless there is a multitude of them. They are ready-made houses. Glass bottles I do pick up.

i guess they do, eventually, ......
what do you think is the decomposition time of the plastic covering the wire? habitat wise i wish they would sink a couple of old decommissioned ships rather that leave behind those ugly traps.

I have no idea, but the carbon steel will decompose. In the mean time the ocean does a nice job of decorating them with living creatures, many that can't move and die when unattached or of course taken out of water. Those things deserve to live as much as any other life in the ocean. So you all can go out there and "clean up" those pots without me. I may start taking pictures of them.:wink:

I like the cut of your jib...oldflounder... Years ago I called DMF about helping rase lost traps after a storm Of course no answer. I would love to recover perfectly good traps for lobsterman mabe someone can make it worth while for divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom