Getting Together on Trips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boulderjohn

Technical Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Let's face it...Oysters usually travel to dive.

As an Oyster with a non-diving wife, I begin most of my dives trying to find a dive buddy among the strangers on a boat. In the past year or so, I have had a lot of miserable luck with that. The point of this post can be illustrated by contrasting two dives I had this week.

A. On Thursday, I went with a dive op in Florida and had yet another bad experience with the insta-buddy system--to summarize quickly, my second dive, to moderate depth, had about a 15 minute bottom time, most of that time spent hovering and watching the other divers in my group deal with what they were doing.

B. I valiantly fought off a cold for a couple of days, and then I set off with the same operator for a wreck diving trip. I was joined by three very fine divers (and very fine humans, to boot), and I had an outstanding experience with them.

The difference can be explained by the fact that I had used ScubaBoard to find these people ahead of time. DiveDoggie had started a thread in this very forum asking where people were going for spring break, and I met Howard and his wife through that. I met Tim by probing the Florida Conch Divers forum. We thus formed a successful group that had a lot of fun, at least from my perspective.

It seems to me that this should be a common practice in this forum. If people are going to be going somewhere and are interested in joining with others, we should be using this forum in a routine way. Divedoggie's system worked just fine...I don't think it needs to be any more formal than that. I just suggest that we make regular threads of this kind so that we can keep in touch and possibly make connections when we travel to common destinations.

I agree. I've been doing some searching forsome upcoming trips i have to california and scuba board works great for that!

I've had great success diving with SB members in FL, and here for that matter.

I did three boat dives, and a LBTS shore dive all filled with SB members for a total of 8 of my 18 dives while last there. The other 10 I did with my cuz whom was also an excellent dive buddy.

When I plan a trip, I post well in advance when I'll be there, what days I'll be diving, and with what Ops when I know. I think our dives in Jupiter has about 6 SB members on boat a boat with about 10 divers, so it worked out awesome.

I'll definatley post when I make plans for this summer season.... soon :D

Yesterday was great fun... I can't imagine having to be buddied up with people you don't know at all, or some of those people that had OOA's or other nightmarish things happen.

It was our pleasure to dive with you John... Hopefully we'll see you the next time you're in Florida.

boulderjohn:
It seems to me that this should be a common practice in this forum. If people are going to be going somewhere and are interested in joining with others, we should be using this forum in a routine way. Divedoggie's system worked just fine...I don't think it needs to be any more formal than that. I just suggest that we make regular threads of this kind so that we can keep in touch and possibly make connections when we travel to common destinations.
OK ~ Here goes.
I'm going on a trip with 4 other dive buddies from SB here. We are going to Belize
Aug 27-Sept 3rd. We will be staying in Caye Caulker in a house we have rented and will be diving with Belize Diving Services.
Our house is full but, there are other houses that can be rented for the week for anywhere from 2 to 6 people. One is right next door to ours.
If anyone is at all interested I will be more than happy to send you more detailed info. Just send me a PM or an email.
And BTW, In MHO we are all fantastic divers and wonderful, fun, easygoing people. So the uptight, panties in a wad type need not apply!

don't forget PNG in 2007. date to be determined!

PNG sounds like fun. How advanced is the diving, there?

SaltyKSue:
And BTW, In MHO we are all fantastic divers and wonderful, fun, easygoing people. So the uptight, panties in a wad type need not apply!

Sounds like a wonderful trip. I only wish I had unlimited resources to dump my job, and make my goal to dive and travel...

So if my speedo get into a wad? Ohh, nevermind, I'm more of a boxer type of guy.. so if my Boxers are in a wad... wait, how does that happen? I'm confused. :11doh:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom