Getting to Tikal, Guatemala from Belize City

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We (4 of us) stayed at Maya Mountain. They arranged a transfer to the lodge for us. Easy peasey - someone showed up at the dock with a big enough vehicle at the requested time, put us and all our luggage in it, and drove us to the lodge. And naturally arranged taking us to the airport when we left. I assume most lodgings out that way will also help make such arrangements for you, or at least point you to a shuttle service. Their guests have to get there somehow, they all have luggage, and many aren't going to want to rent a car. If you look at some websites of lodgings out there they will often have a "getting here" page with some details, some of which might be helpful to you even if it's not a place you decide to stay. For example since you mention Caves Branch - see Where is Caves Branch Jungle Lodge. Should actually be simpler than arranging a tour of Tikal from BC, since many more people will be doing it.

Great ideas, thanks! Maya Mountain Lodge looks great.

Why tubing rather than the ATM cave tour?

I'm sure you already know this....but, if you go diving with your snorkeling daughter, DO N0T let her breath your compressed air underwater! (This is in the wrong thread. April fools?)

Last edited:
I took public buses between Belize City and Tikal. I don't recall how long it took, but I'm sure it was dirt cheap. Speaking of cheap, I slept in a hammock in Tikal for something like five bucks. Oh those were the days. I can't travel like that anymore--I need a comfy bed. :)

I'm sure you already know this....but, if you go diving with your snorkeling daughter, DO N0T let her breath your compressed air underwater!

Never hurts to remind people of this one.

It's been a few years but we were diving the Blue Hole area from Turneffe Island Lodge and there was an incident where a free diver from Ramons Village took a breath off a scuba diver at depth and died from lung over expansion.

The RV boat was one step behind us. They arrived at the BH just as we were coming up, and we exchanged pleasantries. We went on to Half Moon Caye for our SI, and again they arrived just as we were leaving for the second dive. We saw them again as we were returning to the caye for lunch and they were leaving for their second dive. Soon after lunch, they docked and it was obvious something was wrong from the looks on their faces. One of them jumped off, ran up to us and frantically asked if we had a doctor in our group. We quickly fetched her from the Red Footed Boobies site, but there was nothing she could do. I'm sure he was dead before they pulled him out of the water.

Out of respect, we moved away to the tables at the center of the island. The anguish of the RV folks was just terrible to see. After about an hour or so, a Coast Guard boat arrived and took away the body.

Didn't find out until later that it was a crewman who was free diving while the guests were scuba diving. Young man, early 20s, left behind a wife and kids. Almost certainly knew better, just slipped up and paid the price for it.

Why tubing rather than the ATM cave tour?

I didn't see the ATM cave tour listed in the Friday afternoon excursions, though I've seen it elsewhere. It looks beautiful.

I'm sure you already know this....but, if you go diving with your snorkeling daughter, DO N0T let her breath your compressed air underwater! (This is in the wrong thread. April fools?)

I am diving only with a certified diver, and neither of us has a daughter. In fact, I have no children, real or imaginary. So yes, definitely the wrong thread.

I took public buses between Belize City and Tikal. I don't recall how long it took, but I'm sure it was dirt cheap. Speaking of cheap, I slept in a hammock in Tikal for something like five bucks. Oh those were the days. I can't travel like that anymore--I need a comfy bed. :)

Haha, we need a laughing smilie. We can't travel like that either. :)

In all seriousness, for anyone interested, I did look at a shuttle with Zippy Zappy Mayan Travels (formerly Mundo Mayan Travel) for $27.50 US which goes twice daily each way, and it would drop us off at the Tikal Junction, 20 miles away. Then we would have a private transfer from the Tikal Junction to Tikal with them for $55 US for 1 - 2 people or arranged ourselves.

I didn't see the ATM cave tour listed in the Friday afternoon excursions, though I've seen it elsewhere. It looks beautiful.

Do the ATM instead of the tubing. You won't regret it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom