Getting to Tikal, Guatemala from Belize City

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey all, just thought I would update that with the help of all of you, SB, Trip Advisor, Fodor's and Frommers, we have planned a pretty exciting trip so far.
We're flying in the Saturday before the liveaboard and taking a shuttle straight from the airport to San Ignacio (Midas ($88.06 US total per room per night). The next day, Sunday, we're doing the almost all-inclusive overnight Tikal (Guatemala) trip (342 US total per person) with Max of Maximum Adventure Tours, returning Monday.
On Tuesday, we're doing the full day cave river tubing ($95 US total pp) with Max. (I asked my friend to check out this thread and ATM, but she hasn't done the cave river tubing and would like to try).
On Wednesday, we're taking a shuttle to Placencia. On Thursday, we're doing a full day - 3 dives off Glover's atoll ($200 US/$210 including all gear total pp) with Seahorse Dive Shop in Placencia.
On Friday, we've kept it free so far in case Glover's doesn't work out on Thursday due to inclement weather or the minimum 4 people not being met. Seahorse has told us that April is a busy time and they expect to have no issues with meeting the minimum number of divers. There's lots of sightseeing from Placencia or just some relaxing beach time.
On Saturday morning, we'll check out from Placencia Villas Iguana Studio ($89 US total per room per night) and take a shuttle straight to the Radisson/liveaboard.
We'll relax and dive, dive, dive for a week on the liveaboard and then take the Aggressor shuttle straight to the airport and head home.
Thanks everyone!

To my mind and experience, the choice to go tubing instead of the ATM, is a sad substitute.

It's not THAT sad. Cave tubing is a nice, relaxing way to get wet, stay cool and see some jungle. ATM takes a lot more effort, but the payoff is pretty great.

Sounds like a great trip. Max is a fun guy, although you may not see much of him as he contracts out the tours now to local guides. I'm sure Seahorse will hit the minimum but if not there are a ton of things to see and do just up the road from Placencia.

Our friends did ATM while we were kayaking. They enjoyed ATM, but from their description we wouldn't have. Lots of good activities there, no sad choices.

Last edited:
Man, what an awesome trip and My Hats Off to your "logistics" person...that's a really detailed and well thought out travel plan!

You know this was such a detailed and good pre-trip report, after reading it I felt exhausted and checked my bank account to make sure I hadn't just paid to do all this stuff!!!

Next time, think about "GO(ing) SLOW" in Caye Caulker for a day or two...from the looks of your plans, that would seem to be your limit on "doing nothing" LOL

Enjoy the travel, tours, diving and country!

To my mind and experience, the choice to go tubing instead of the ATM, is a sad substitute.

You never know. Each of our shuttle/travel days are free and we have a whole free day on the Friday before the liveaboard. Although @Caye Caulker Diver B might not agree that we have enough free time... :)

Man, what an awesome trip and My Hats Off to your "logistics" person...that's a really detailed and well thought out travel plan!

You know this was such a detailed and good pre-trip report, after reading it I felt exhausted and checked my bank account to make sure I hadn't just paid to do all this stuff!!!

Next time, think about "GO(ing) SLOW" in Caye Caulker for a day or two...from the looks of your plans, that would seem to be your limit on "doing nothing" LOL

Enjoy the travel, tours, diving and country!

LOL. Why thank you. My logistics people were all of you. :)

You're right. We both kind of go go go, even on holiday, and doing nothing is too hard. :) But if we get to just chill here and there, it's all good! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom