Getting to the island mid December?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

northcave

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We're in Gutemala at the moment and intended to overland to San Pedro Sula and then fly to one of the Bay Islands so dive. However getting to SPS at the moment is tricky with the unrest and road blocks.

I have a few q's:

1. How might we get there?
2. Of the two islands is one better than the other? We're mid 30s not bothered in partying but camping could be nice perhaps?
3. If not Honduras then would anyone recommend we go up to Belize instead and if so where?

Fly? Not sure where you are in Guatemala but I see flights from GC that have a stop in SPS and direct to Roatan on Tag or San Salvador and then direct to Roatan on Taca. There are also flights from Belize City on Tropic Air. I would also suspect if you are on a bus they would have a fairly easy time getting through any roadblock.

Between Roatan and Utila it's pick whatever you like. Roatan is possibly a little more "built up" especially if you stay on the west end. Both islands though are hardly anything like what Cancun is. I don't know about camping options on either island but there would be affordable accommodations on each. There are hostels and affordable hotels. Some of the dive shops have accommodations too. I would guess Roatan would have more nightlife just because there is more infrastructure though the one time I've stayed on the west end I didn't find it crazy busy. They both have enough restaurants and facilities to make for an easy trip. Diving is good on both, I'd say Roatan has more options/variety just because it's bigger. I think you'd be just as satisfied at either. Roatan would be simpler because you don't have a further hop to get to Utila.

For Belize I was going to say Placencia but looking at a map I don't see any southern roads into Belize from Guatemala. It looks like you have to go fairly far north and then come back down which seems like a really long way to me.

Many thanks. Appreciated.

I think you're right about roads from the south. A boat from Livingston in Guatemala might be an option perhaps.

Strangely in Guatemala it is dry season but over in Belize some dive guides say it is wet season in Belize.

Back
Top Bottom