Getting to DIR by the long way around

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jdelprete:
Hello All, I am looking for a bit of insight on setting up my regulators DIR style. From what I have seen so far my primary reg would be on a 7' or so long hose tucked under my vest, wrapped around my neck and into my mouth. My secondary reg on a 24" or so hose (different for all) and hung from a "necklace". I understand the reasonsing behind all of this so want to move in this direction. Suggestions/help please.

One last question - anyone ever find the extra hose being a pain wrapped all over you?

Jim

You say tucked under your vest? Are you using a traditional style vest BC? I would recommend a BP&W...

As far as the hose:
Any extra hose is tucked into the waist strap or under a light cannister (if you have one).... Here's a link to the Bay Area Underwater Explorers - BAUE Equipment images

Thanks guys. Ben I have a Zeagle Ranger BC. Thnaks for the link too, quite nice.
Since I have your attention to how about a good reg system for doubles? recommendations?

Jim

dbulmer:
jdelprete,
First of all I'm not DIR so I'll not answer the first part second I'm from Halifax England and the only other Halifax I'd heard of was in Canada :)

The last part - the long hose goes under your right arm and routes through to the left handside of your neck into your mouth. If you have excess hose it tucks into your harness belt. Once it's rigged it very comfy you'll hardly notice it's there but you do have to be anal about clipping the long hose off before and after your dive.

The long hose is either in your mouth, in your hand or clipped off is what I think most Dir folks would say (assuming it's not being used in an OOA).

PS: Halifax Massachusetts is this iny freakin little town in the middle of nowhere...kinda nice. :)

Halifax England is in God's county Yorkshire - the biggest, best county in England but a small town nonetheless :)

JUst use what you got right now... if you are starting from scratch I'ld recommend either Apeks DS4's or SP MK 25's.... but basically any good reg will do... the DS4's and MK 25's are the most popular out there amongst DIR guys

Ben_ca:
JUst use what you got right now... if you are starting from scratch I'ld recommend either Apeks DS4's or SP MK 25's.... but basically any good reg will do... the DS4's and MK 25's are the most popular out there amongst DIR guys

sounds good. I'll just have to get my yoke over to a DIN
Course I still need another primary for doubles

dbulmer:
Halifax England is in God's county Yorkshire - the biggest, best county in England but a small town nonetheless :)

Eh up lad! I couldnt agree more. Ah was born in Ripon 'n lived in Northallerton. Another small town in Yorkshire! Is it still the county town?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom