Getting to DIR by the long way around

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bismark: We are putting afundies course together here in Vancouver, as TSandM mentioned. Dates are March 22 -> 25.

I do not know if there is still room, but will be checking tomorrow. PM me if you are interested.

Bjorn

I just emailed Dan M re: his course on Vancouver Island this spring. If he doesn't have space, any suggestions? Do I email GUE for course dates?

Thanks,

Yup, Dan Mackay will be over in Port Alberni in late March / early April to run DIR-F and Tech 1 courses: if you contact Curt at Bamfield Dive Shed (www.dive-shed.com) he'll be able to give you more info. I took my DIR-F with Dan last October and I can vouch for him, he's a great instructor.

Dan will also be teaching DIR-F in Vancouver March 22-25. This course is being run through International Diving Center(www.diveidc.com); I don't know if any spaces are available, but talk to Laurie at IDC and she can give you more info.

A further option is Marc Hall: he's normally based in San Diego, but he's working in Vancouver for the next few months and might be setting up a DIR-F course. I dived with him for the first time yesterday, he's an excellent guy and by all accounts a top-notch instructor too. His website is www.enjoythedive.com.

Jeremy, I already fired Bismark the info via PM :wink:

Bismark,

Just in the for what it's worth department, it sounds as if there are a number of excellent options for you to consider. I have been privileged to sit through four fundies courses taught by three different instructors, and I've learned something new each time. Generally speaking, once you've taken one if you approach an instructor and get to talking there is a good chance you may be able to do something similar - listen in on some others.

I encourage you to take full advantage of any opportunities you may encounter. Each instructor has their own background, and they often bring different perspectives to the table. They are united by what they have in common, of course, but each is different and uniquely competent. It has been said before that there are no substandard GUE instructors - you can learn loads from any of them. If there are that many in your area, even temporarily, do yourself a favor and try to make time to talk to as many of them as you can.

You won't be disappointed.

Doc

Thanks Doc. I feel the same way and did the same thing for all my other dive training. I know the guys at the dive shop in Vancouver, so I will call them in the morning. Depending on the time, I could also head up to Port Alberni. My learning style is to absorb as much information as I can from anywhere and everywhere before I can make a qualified judgment on anything. Looks like one way or another I can do the DIRF course this spring. If there is space, one of my local dive buddies also wants to do the course. Thanks for the support.

If you can't find space in one of the Canadian classes, Steve White is teaching Fundies about every other month or so in Seattle. He was my instructor, and he is a very good teacher. I'm probably going to take Rec Triox from him this spring.

Bismark:
I just emailed Dan M re: his course on Vancouver Island this spring. If he doesn't have space, any suggestions? Do I email GUE for course dates?

Thanks,

Scheduled courses are usually posted on the GUE website. You need to create an free account to view them first. Click the link at the bottom of the menu on the left side of the screen.

nadwidny:
Jarrod is young so as long as he keeps his interest there shouldn't be a problem for years and years. But it is a good question. What if one day JJ wakes up and decides that he wants to start raising orchids? Who is around now and has the credentials to keep GUE going?

He could get burned out like Billy Dean did, get T-boned by a SUV, a nasty divorce, or have medical problems. I have seen all kill a small company which GUE/Halcon have to be considered. Then it becomes the question of what the next manager/owner/estate lawer does with it. The other is one good liability lawer going after them like what happened to Abyss over a BC and regulator problem. The real problem was a diver blaming them for his problems. They won the suite but broke the company.

Like I said I have to wounder if there is a critical mass. The teachings are well established in cavers and some wreckers, but can it keep going?

I don't know if GUE would keep going. But I suspect at least a core of the teachings would keep going. There are an awful lot of us who may not know a ton, but we have the basics and the idea, and believe in it, and keep trying to pass it along. And there are even non-GUE instructors incorporating a lot of the ideas in their teaching. I don't think it will die with Jarrod's departure. At least, I hope not.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom