Getting to Coconuts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rje634

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We're heading to Coz tomorrow and what to know what is the best way to get to Coconuts without renting a car. How much do taxis run to get to the wild side of the island?

Not sure what a cab would run, but we rented a car for a day last Saturday and drove over there and it was nice. Not sure I would try it on a scooter, but we had one of those for around town and it worked great ($20/day). The road is out just past Coconut's heading toward Rasta's, so you have to take Benito Juarez (I think that's the name of the main street that goes from downtown to the back side of the island). That road is still in pretty good shape.

I love that place!!

Taking a cab over might be ok, but getting a cab back might be a trick. They don't have a phone over there from what I understand, I don't even know if you can call a cab on Coz even if they do. I'm sure the price would be at least $25 one way for a cab ride from town.

To catch a cab back you'ld have to just stand out in front of Coconuts and wait for one to come by, (few and far between), or maybe catch a ride with someone who has rented a car or jeep.

I'm sure you could work out a deal with a cabbie, but it's just as easy and probably cheaper to rent a car for the day. Not to mention that you have to bribe the cabbie to stay or you're stuck--there is relatively no cab traffic on the east side right now and no phones to call one. Much easier to have your own ride....

I was just there last week and wanted to note that the middle part of the east side road is closed, so you can't do the "round the island" thing anymore. The cops and several locals said the east road is missing huge chunks and is not passable from Coconuts all the way south to Rasta's. So like Wicketsmom said, to get to Coconuts you take Benito Juarez through town and all the way to the east side to get to Mescalito's and Coconuts.

If you want to hit the southern part of the east side, then you have to take Melgar south and follow it all the way around to the east side. A cop will stop you right there so you can park, see what is left of Bob's Marley bar and all the stupid new souvenir stands, and have a cold brew at Rasta's (yes it's open).

The east side is still well worth the trip--Coconuts was better than ever, just missing some trees. Just take some t-shirts for the palapa roof--their collection got blown away with Wilma. :)

cxg31s:
The east side is still well worth the trip--Coconuts was better than ever, just missing some trees. Just take some t-shirts for the palapa roof--their collection got blown away with Wilma. :)

Actually, they got blown away by Emily. Remember Emily? ;^)

we always stay at the Occidental Grand and Coconuts is past that. We pay $25 just for a cab to the resort. Rent a car or scooters. We usually rent scooters and travel that side of the island looking at the scenery and stopping at the stores. Coconuts would probably be closer to $30-35 one way.

melissa

ch0ppersrule:
we always stay at the Occidental Grand and Coconuts is past that. We pay $25 just for a cab to the resort. Rent a car or scooters. We usually rent scooters and travel that side of the island looking at the scenery and stopping at the stores. Coconuts would probably be closer to $30-35 one way.

melissa
Never mind, I misread.

Take a taxi and ask the driver to wait, maybe buy him lunch, and you will have a fine time with no worries about you drinking and driving. That is what you had in mind, isn't it?

FWIW, I think you can hire a taxi for the whole day for about $60, maybe less if you negotiate well.

ggunn:
Actually, they got blown away by Emily. Remember Emily? ;^)

LOL You're right, the t-shirts were blown away by Emily, but at least they didn't lose the palapa when Wilma arrived. They learned their lesson from Emily and made the palapa much stronger when they re-built, so all they lost from Wilma was the roof. They have an Emily photo album and have named the mannequin Emily, they may change it to Wilma now. :)

Go to isla bicycletta on the same street as La Choza, ( I think it's avenida 10) one block north from there, and rent a nice trek mountain bike for something like $10. That's my favorite way to get out to the east side. It's less than an hour's ride at a relaxed clip from downtown to the east side on the cross island road. Never tried it after multiple beers though!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom