Getting to Catalina by Air.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flew with them this weekend. It was great! 15 minutes. Maximum altitude was 500' so I don't think you would need 24hr clearance. Only issue is luggage their storage space is really limited so it's going to depend on how many people are on the flight. I went with 2 other people and was able to bring my gear plus a carry on bag with regular stuff.

Glad it worked out!

If you get the time, a detailed trip report starting with ease (or not) of boarding at Island Express, transport to the dive park and back to heli pad, costs, etc, etc would be awesome.

:crafty:

In 1985, an Island Express helicopter collided with another helicopter. There was at least one fatality. That is two fatal accidents in 23 years. I don't know how that compares with the general aviation safety record for travel to and from Catalina.

The recent crash involved a helicopter built in 1984, so they are not exactly flying new machines.

I don't see a significant difference in "all but one" versus 50%. Helicopter crashes are bad things that usually result in someone dying and how many is probably just a matter of luck.

How much it is to have them dump my bag near the flag pole and let me giant stride into the park? Or do I need PADI Heli-dive specialty card for that?

A couple years ago we flew the seaplane from KW to Dry Tortugas at a max altitude of 500' on the morning after a four dive day. I personally wouldn't worry about flying at 500', YMMV. In any case I'd make sure that you and the pilot were on the same page before taking off, though.

spectral, nice first (only?) post. Any axes to grind? You don't happen to run a ferry service, by any chance? :eyebrow:

In 1985, an Island Express helicopter collided with another helicopter. There was at least one fatality. That is two fatal accidents in 23 years. I don't know how that compares with the general aviation safety record for travel to and from Catalina.

The recent crash involved a helicopter built in 1984, so they are not exactly flying new machines.

I don't see a significant difference in "all but one" versus 50%. Helicopter crashes are bad things that usually result in someone dying and how many is probably just a matter of luck.

My point was that the poster needed to get his one and only post correct. Making false claims sounds a lot like slander to me.

For the record the average age of the aircraft I have spent every day of the last 8 years in is around 1980. They undergo routine maintenance inspections and are in far better shape than the majority of the cars on the road. The quality of the maintenance is a whole lot more important than the year of the aircraft. Very similar to scuba tanks. I would prefer to dive a 30 year old steel 72 that has been well cared for than a 1 year old steel tank that had been filled with bad air and water. Maintenance is the most important concern. That being said, I know nothing of the maintenance at Island Express.

Making false claims sounds a lot like slander to me.
IANAL, but technically slander is harmful verbal statements and libel is harmful written or published statements (could be words, pictures, graphical depictions, etc.). Probably easier to use the term "defamation" as it covers both.

Glad it worked out!

If you get the time, a detailed trip report starting with ease (or not) of boarding at Island Express, transport to the dive park and back to heli pad, costs, etc, etc would be awesome.

:crafty:

Here we go. First of all the luggage limit is 25lbs regardless of how much you weigh. The concern is not only the weight but mainly the amount of space as the helicopter has limited cargo space. I only weigh 145lbs so it should have been no big deal for me to carry an extra 25 but the point is space not weight. Talked to a lady over the phone, she would not give me a straight answer on wether or not i would be able to take extra luggage. they won't know until the last minute as it depends on how many passengers are flying. They require a minimum of 4 passengers total to and from. For example 3 going to Catalina 1 coming back. Schedules also change daily depending on demand, so it's kind of hard to plan for it if you are trying to bring excess gear.
What i did was call them the same day and booked a flight that coincided with a similar departure time on a ferry. I showed to their san pedro "office" which is 2 feet away from the ferry's, my plan was if the let me get on the chopper great, if not i'll just get on the boat.
flight was fast and easy. altimeter stayed at 500'. cost was $95 one way. When you get on the heli tell the pilot you will need a cab when you get to the island. There was one waiting for me when we landed, cost $10 to get to the hotel.
it doesn't matter if you depart from san pedro or long beach, it's only a 1 minute flight and it will stop at both to pick up passengers. LB is their main office, with it's own private waiting area.

Knowing the owner of Island Express, I feel quite certain their maintenance is very good. By the way, his daughter is a research diver who spent several "winters" diving in Antarctica.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom