Getting the flu after diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Captain CaveMan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
It seems to me that when I go diving in cold weather I get the flu some time that week. I'm 24 and very healthy, but I dint under stand. The only thing I can think about is after a day of diving I rinse my regs out in clean water and let them air dry. Do you think that I'm getting sick from left over bacteria thats left on my regs?? Would taking my mouth piece and cleaning it with Listerine or mouth wash after to clean it + it would give it a nice smell. I'm thinking this because I was diving on Sat. and for the last 4 days I've been running a fever and other flu symptoms.

Captain CaveMan:
It seems to me that when I go diving in cold weather I get the flu some time that week. I'm 24 and very healthy, but I dint under stand. The only thing I can think about is after a day of diving I rinse my regs out in clean water and let them air dry. Do you think that I'm getting sick from left over bacteria thats left on my regs?? Would taking my mouth piece and cleaning it with Listerine or mouth wash after to clean it + it would give it a nice smell. I'm thinking this because I was diving on Sat. and for the last 4 days I've been running a fever and other flu symptoms.

Well you should be rinsing your regs. after all dive days...and allowing them to dry. I don't think your flu like syp. have anything to do with your regs. I trust you know the condition of the inside of your tanks,,,and are using a proper scuba air fill. I have been diving a bit and never got the flu from it.

I trust the LDS that I get my fills. I dont think that there to blame.
texdiveguy:
Well you should be rinsing your regs. after all dive days...and allowing them to dry.
Like I said I was cleaning them in fresh water and letting them air dry

Since influenza is a virus instead of a bacterium, you can scratch the bacteria in the regulator idea. Moreover, bacteria require a certain degree of moisture to survive. They generally don't survive well in a moisture free environment (which is you can preserve food by drying it).

The most likely source of infection is your wife. She's exposed to all sorts of yuck each day. Kids are the same way. If one my kids brings something home, it hits me in ten days, like clockwork. In cold weather, the house is sealed up tight, so infected air is constantly recirculated and provides additional opportunities for infection.

As someone already said, the 'flu' is viral, not bacteria in nature......??maybe it's the third possibility, allergic- could you be allergic to your wife??.....lol......good luck.....

There usually are only 2 to 3 strains of influenza each year, and most of us would catch only 1 or 2 strains. If you are getting sick after each dive, and it is more than 3 times, it is unlikely to be the flu.

Second, influenza is species specific. Unless you shared your reg with someone, you're unlikely to get it from the dive. Unless you sat in a crowded boat and got it from other divers.

You have to consider bacterial causes of influenza like symptoms. This might be organisms that are in the water including salmonella, shigella, ecoli, and protozoal (giardia, cryptosporidium). These can all cause intestinal symptoms, sometime mimicking flu.

I think it is hard not to ingest some water, as not all regulators are truly dry. I know that I get a little water in my reg if I were to do a summersault.

It would not be a bad idea to discuss this with your doctor. There might be endocrine causes of your intolerance to hypothermia. Might be a good idea to get a physical and labs just in case. Eventhough you are below 40 years of age...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom